Keith,

What we often forget in all the discussions, is that US no longer have a financial case against Iraq. No weapons found that could pose a threat against US, also means that US have no legal case for covering their war cost with oil from Iraq.

But they didn't have a legal case for the war (invasion, occupation, whatever) in the first place. Did they ever have a financial case against Iraq? I mean a real case? Surely not one that could stand up to any kind of examination.

But you're right, it's a good point.

They are probably right that Iraq might be better of without Saddam, we do not know yet, but that does not mean that they can get the costs refunded for removing him. US have no rights to the oil or any profits and they might instead have sole financial responsibilities for the destruction that followed their unilateral decision. The only way to share the finance for this kind of actions, is through UN.

... which they've spurned.

It will be a costly adventure for the American tax payer, or US have to resort to try dictatorial and illegal behavior in Iraq.

I gather that's the idea, digging in for the long haul, it doesn't look much like they're planning on paying rent.

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/43840/
Why the US will not leave Iraq

It is unlikely, because the time has past, when it was possible to maintain conquering occupations and make a profit from them. US have paid for the occupations by Israel, but even if it is small territory it cost a fortune. After all, maybe the world is slowly improving and the bullies can be made accountable for their deeds.

US is the only military super power left, but might have lost its position as leading financial super power over Iraq.

I think military superpowers are obsolete. I think any kind of superpower is obsolete except the "other" one:

"There may still be two superpowers on the planet: the United States and world public opinion." - The New York Times

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/23479/

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030414&s=schell
The Other Superpower | Jonathan Schell

The trouble is I think they're quite likely to think the same way Mr Pritikin is thinking - except for Mr Cheney, who might not want Halliburton to have to face Mr Pritikin's questions.

Regards

Keith

Hakan