Jeremy,

pH meters go out of calibration extremely fast and without proper
calibration with trusted calibration fluid you can be off in the order
of magnitude range.  Until you get fluids, I would recommend using
paper strips as they are more reliable than an uncalibrated pH meter.
I am fairly sure that www.mcmaster.com sells calibration fluids, but
you could also check with VWR, Cole-parmer and the other lab supply
companies.

Andy