This is not so wild an idea as you suggest. I remember reading a few years back about a fellow in France who piled up a huge mound of waste wood chips and drove a pipe into the center of it. As the termites went to work in the pile as well, I suppose, as bacteria, the methane they generated escaped through the pipe and was captures in inter tubes which would be inflated from the pressure of the gas. He claimed to be able to collect enough gas from this rather primitive system to supply his cooking stove. Rick

John Guttridge wrote:

Ahh, perhaps we could collect the methane and use it as fuel!!!

imagine whole plants full of farting cows and termites harnessed to generate the worlds energy!

imagine the smell!

it would have to be constructed in new jersey, it already stinks there anyway.