Hallo Friends,

This is George Washington's proclamation establishing Thanksgiving Day
in  the  United States. Please note that Washington speaks towards the
end  of  the  proclamation  of  "true  religion"  which I define and I
believed   he  and  all  reasonable  folks  define  as  that  personal
relationship  one  has with what I choose to call ones maker (God) but
others  may  call  something  else  as  in  the case of "humanists" or
"atheists",  such  as  reason,  morals,  virtue,  whatever.  I believe
Washington's definition would be similar to mine but I could be wrong.
Each of us has different understanding and abilities and predilictions
which  is  determined by many different things. It is neither wise nor
advisable  to look down upon, despise or discount the belief system or
lack  of  one  of  another person or culture. It is far better to work
towards  mutual  understanding and cooperation. We are only able to do
and  act  upon  our own understanding. There may be only "one way" but
that  one  way  applies,  as  near  as  I  can  tell, to each of us as
individuals  and  where  differences  appear  in  name  and  form  the
substance may remain the same.

I  and my way are no better than Todd and his way.  They are different
but they work for each of us.  We can only do the best we are able and
ones  best is all we can reasonably ask of each other.  My response to
Allen's  essay  was  not  meant to either uphold or discount the basic
argument  (which  I  happen  to  agree  with in general) but to merely
correct a proposition I knew to have been false.  I would hope that if
I  were  to  make such an error that someone would point it out to me,
and believe me some have at times. :o)

My  interest is in the truth and accuracy not in winning a debate with
Todd  or  being hurtful or resentful. I hope that is understood by the
list members, particularly Todd, as I have a great respect for him and
his abilities.  Truth matters. Words matter. Reason and reasonableness
matter.

Happy Happy,

Gustl
********
The  proclamation,  reprinted  below  may  be  found  at the following
website:

http://gwpapers.virginia.edu/thanksgiving/transcript.html

The Thanksgiving Proclamation
New York, 3 October 1789

Introduction | The Proclamation | Handwritten Letter | Editorial Apparatus

[New York, 3 October 1789]

By the President of the United States of America. a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of
Almighty  God,  to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and
humbly to implore his protection and favor--and whereas both Houses of
Congress  have  by their joint Committee requested me "to recommend to
the  People  of  the  United  States  a day of public thanksgiving and
prayer  to  be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many
signal  favors  of  Almighty  God  especially  by  affording  them  an
opportunity  peaceably  to  establish  a  form of government for their
safety and happiness."

Now  therefore  I  do  recommend  and  assign Thursday the 26th day of
November  next  to  be  devoted  by  the People of these States to the
service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author
of  all  the good that was, that is, or that will be--That we may then
all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks--for his
kind  care  and  protection  of the People of this Country previous to
their  becoming a Nation--for the signal and manifold mercies, and the
favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the
tranquillity,  union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed--for the
peaceable  and  rational  manner,  in  which  we  have been enabled to
establish  constitutions  of  government for our safety and happiness,
and particularly the national One now lately instituted--for the civil
and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have
of  acquiring  and  diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all
the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon
us.

and  also  that  we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers
and  supplications  to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech
him to pardon our national and other transgressions--to enable us all,
whether  in  public  or  private  stations, to perform our several and
relative  duties  properly  and  punctually--to  render  our  national
government  a  blessing  to  all  the  people,  by  constantly being a
Government  of  wise,  just,  and  constitutional laws, discreetly and
faithfully  executed  and  obeyed--to protect and guide all Sovereigns
and  Nations  (especially  such as have shewn kindness onto us) and to
bless  them  with  good government, peace, and concord--To promote the
knowledge  and  practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease
of  science among them and us--and generally to grant unto all Mankind
such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given  under  my hand at the City of New-York the third day of October
in the year of our Lord 1789.

Go: Washington

--
Je mehr wir haben, desto mehr fordert Gott von uns.
********
We can't change the winds but we can adjust our sails.
********
The safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope,
soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones,
without signposts.
C. S. Lewis, "The Screwtape Letters"
********
Es gibt Wahrheiten, die so sehr auf der Stra§e liegen,
da§ sie gerade deshalb von der gewšhnlichen Welt nicht
gesehen oder wenigstens nicht erkannt werden.
********
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't
hear the music.
George Carlin
********
The best portion of a good man's life -
His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
William Wordsworth