AntiFossil
Mike Krafka  USA
Greetings Mike,

Actually I am listing urban as a place that has lots of rules. Rural can do for oneself. I live outside of a small town, don't know how many people. They just incorporated around a year ago although the town was established in 1832 in the province of Tejas. We have 6 churches, 3 restaurants, a bank, video rental place, post office, gas station with store and a produce store . No bars, local option is dry.

You have put your finger on the real problem with urbanization, too many rules against living sanely. In Houston, most neighborhood gestapo won't allow a clothes line! Forget solar panels and solar hot water. The Houston Renewable Energy [EMAIL PROTECTED] list has great fun with this, at least we provide a place for people to rant. My lifestyle of compost toilets and a grey water system would be totally against the law.

My point is that even if "one engages the brain at all times", current
author excluded of course, and works incredibly diligently at keeping
his/her impact(s) on the environment to acceptable minimums, our
infrastructure and inability to adapt, with anything that resembles
acceptable speed, is not allowing us to change.

And why do we have all these dumb rules? Because self reliance went out of fashion and everyone wants to be protected.

Bright Blessings,
Kim