Mike - I advocate a solutions approach discussed on
this listserv.

Farming
In the San Joaquin Valley California there are
counties that contain the largest concentration of
dairy farms in the United States.  Much research is
being done to assist small family dairy farms, medium
sized dairy farms, large dairy farms, and corporate
diary farms to ameliorate the liquid, solid, and air
pollutants the eminate from the dairy farm process
into the San Joaquin Valley biosphere.  Please see:

http://www.eco-farm.org/sa/sa_dairy_synopsis_digester.html

The gentlemen listed in above link is Allen Dusault of
Sustainable Conservation. I met Allen during my energy
conservation work in San Francisco while conducting
plans to introduce cogeneration to the dairy farms in
the Central Valley. I discovered that Allen has a keen
national perspective of farming conservation, farm
waste issues, and how it ties into municipal waste
issues in the United States.  In my opinion, Allen is
quite dedicated and understands the challenges of
small vs large vs let's look at solutions.

Municipal Waste
During my energy conservation career we worked on many
projects to promote energy conservation and efficient
municipal waste systems - fine bubble diffusion,
cogeneration, solar, etc.  I visited many old sewer
plants and  modern waste treatment facilities.  From a
practical point of view I noticed several things 1)
the local general populace needed better education on
the crucial role the waste treatment plant plays in
their community 2)How the populace impacts the plants
and continuing understanding the differences between
storm drain and treatment plant systems 4) The
tremendous amount or money it takes to build and run a
regional municipal system.

With all the said there is certainly oppotunity for
improvement.  I took a statistical survey of ALL 3,000
municipal treatment plans in the State of California
with the permission of their governing body.   The
statisical survey was for my graduate degree
statistics program.  If you would like, I will look in
my old files and post the results.

These are my field experiences summarized but I have
many moren notes in my field journal.

Personal Notes
Mike - Please note that this was earlier in my career
and worked from an industrial point of view. It was
later that I became exposed to deeper principles of
energy conservation, biofuel, and sustainability.  I
am always challenged when I start my car and take my
kids to school in the morning. Could I take a bus? How
about asking them to walk as I did in my youth? What
about the migrants coming to California who seek a
better life, new cars, homes, etc?  It is always a
challenge for me to balance.

Respectfully submitted,
Phillip Wolfe