----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 We rely on the 4th Estate (of which I'm a lifelong member) to do that for
us, that's their role and essential function, but (though the exceptions are
many and honorable) there's no need for me to say how derelict they've
become in this duty, especially over the last few decades. It's always been
a "kept" press, of course, owned by the very interests it's supposed to
protect society against.
---end---

    The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth, to lie
outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell
his country and his race for his daily bread. You know it and I know it, and
what folly is this toasting an independent press? We are the tools and
vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull
the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are
all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes. - John
Swinton, the Chief of Staff for the New York Times, 1953