Hello Tim,

They have a porous plug at the top of the cylinder to contain the acetylene.
But no complete liner to my knowledge, the books I have are old though so
things may have changed. In one respect for sure cylinders have changed, the
old cylinders used to have a safety valve at the base, but mine hasn't, I
think they are incorporated in the valve at the top these days.

In case anyone is interested: (taken from Welding by S M Algar pub 1962 An
Arco Handybook) Also confirmed in The BOC Handbook for Oxy Acetylene Welders
pub 1943)

Acetylene cannot be compressed safely above 30 - 40 lb/sq in. Above this
pressure it decomposes & often explodes. British law prevents it being
compressed higher than 22 lb/sq in. Then it was discovered acetone at
atmospheric pressure will dissolve 25 times its own volume of acetylene &
375 times its volume at 15 atmospheres. The packing material within the
cylinder can be charcoal, balsa wood, kapok or special porous cements (I
presume nowadays that means ceramic fibre wadding) The purpose of the filler
material is to effectively reduce the volume into smaller pockets to help
prevent an explosion wave from forming. All this enables acetylene cylinders
to be filled to 225 - 250 lb/sq in. (15 - 16 atmospheres) Cylinders should
be stored upright. Laying them on their side or in the sun can result in a
fountain of acetone coming from the valve rather than the desired acetylene.

Regards

Malcolm