bucks and lasts 5 years. it also depends on what freq. you want to opperate on. on my 2 ways channel 9 through 14 are non lic. and channel 9 is for non official emergency. 1-8 14-22 each with 32 sub channels is what you need the lic. for and thats just FRS with a 6 mile range ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kirk McLoren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 8:28 AM
Subject: RE: [Biofuel] Windmills in the Sky

Next time you buy a sectional (map for you nonpilots) I suggest you give it a closer glance. The last one I bought was Montana and there is a lot of airspace with a 10,000 minimum altitude. Guess they don't want people disturbing the animals. :) Then there is military space. Some of those can get you an escort. So the West isn't all that open.

As for unlicenced radio I suggest you talk to your local FCC agent before you get part of your anatomy in the wringer. Anything over 100mW HAS to have a licenced operator to be legal. I don't know the full terms of CB or FRS but I bet a permit is involved there too.

Barnstorming was buzzing barns and pulling up to clear phone lines. 1500 feet above a barn is hardly a buzz.

BTW I am a licensed pilot as well.

Kirk

Tim Ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello Kirk,

Airspace is controlled.

As a pilot I can tell you that although most of the US east of the Mississippi River is Class E and above (controlled) airspace it is a reverse proportion west of the Mississippi River. Where most of the airspace is Class G or uncontrolled.

The barnstorming open air biplane days are gone

Not so again Kirk. I can perform aerobatic maneuvers between 1500' AGL in class G (uncontrolled) and class E (controlled airspace up
to 14,499' MSL.

just like radio emissions without a license.

Not so again Kirk. I can fly anywhere in the US without a radio license. I don't even have to have a radio in the plan to fly in
Class G and Class E airspace.

There are places where the winds blow almost always, such as the continental divide in central Wyoming. They are even windier at altitude. The gyro field could be marked with strobes and a beacon. Also the gyros would probably not be at jetliner altitude and even if they were they could be no-fly zones just like a lot of areas already are.

Kirk

With the advent of the new pilot classification "Sport Pilot" where you not even required to pass a medical exam it is anticipated that the skies above will be much more active with these new pilots. Creating more restricted airspace will face a great battle from the aviation lobbyist who do posses a great deal of influence with the US Government. However, in the areas that maintain constant high winds are of little to no interest to most pilots and would present some opportunities for such restricted airspace without
much protest from the lobbyist.

Best Wishes,

Tim