...two reasons why I'm saving this email: Content and the best use of the word
"assload" I have ever seen!

Mike

John Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thomas Malthus called. He points out that he already predicted
production would fail to keep pace with demand...

...back in 1798.

Seriously, even if cheap oil runs out, we are not heading toward some
Malthusian crisis, because end of the world types since Malthus have
ignored that ability of human beings to innovate when faced with an
incentive to do so.

The earth is not a closed system energywise - the sun pumps a metric
assload of energy into the system every single day. As long as we can
figure out an energy source that is net positive, we'll be fine. And
guess what, both ethanol and biodiesel are net postive. Here's a novel
idea - we'll run the tractors to harvest the crops on the biodiesel we
make with the crops.

Anyway, will the shift away from cheap fossil fuels cause economic
disruption? Certainly. But we aren't all heading toward a Mad Max-esque
dystopia where we fight over cans of dog food either.

And just for the record, it isn't "Keith's list to decide what's
important, or not..."

Rather, your post was poorly received because we've because we've dealt
with this meretricious crap before, hence Keith's pointer to the
archive. Specifically, both the issue of ethanol energy balance and
arable land have been repeatedly addressed on the list. Yet, sites like
after the oil crash continue their worthless scaremongering.

jh

mike wrote:
> I only posted this one because it's a somewhat different perspective than what
> you have posted in your resources section, especially if you take the effort
> to read the 2nd page. It's a lot more realistic, but if that bores you that's
> OK too. It's your list; you decide what's important, or not...
> m--
>
>>mike wrote:
>>

>>>A very engaging and sobering evaluation of the inevitable future we must come
>>>to grips with very soon.
>>>
>>>http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net
>>>
>>>Life After the Oil Crash
>>>
>>>"Deal with Reality, or Reality will Deal with You"
>>
>>Too true, the last bit. Otherwise... yawn. Yawn on two counts: for
>>the book itself, and because we've had it all before, a couple of
>>times. Eg.:
>>
>>http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/41284/1
>>Re: [Biofuel] Peak Oil & Cosmic Questions
>>
>>No harm in posting it again, but:
>>

>>>List resources
>>>
>>>Please make use of the resources listed at the Biofuel list home page:
>>>
>>>Especially the searchable list archives:
>>>http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/
>>>
>>>The archives contains more than 38,000 [45,000 now] messages over
>>>nearly five years. The question you want to ask or the topic you're
>>>interested in has probably already been covered. That's no reason
>>>not to ask it again, but if you know what's gone before you'll ask a
>>>better question and get better answers.
>>
>>-- From: List rules
>>http://wwia.org/pipermail/biofuel/Week-of-Mon-20040906/000005.html
>>
>>Keith Addison
>>Journey to Forever
>>KYOTO Pref., Japan
>>http://journeytoforever.org/
>>Biofuel list owner

> Biofuel archives at Infoarchive.net (searchable):

John E Hayes, M.S.
Instructor, Dietetics Program, DIET 203 / DIET 215
Doctoral Student, Nutritional Sciences
University of Connecticut - 326 Koons Hall
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / 860.486.0007