So true!  But for this to work well enough to make a difference,
significant changes would have to be made to the system of distribution of
goods and services in the United States.  Efficient rail transport in the
United States, similar to what you might find in Europe, only works if the
transport goes where people need to go, and if it is cost-effective.  In
Europe, the rail systems are heavily subsidized by the government, and the
government in turn heavily taxes its citizens.  Take the Netherlands, for
example -- they have a fantastic public transportation system that can
take you just about anywhere you need to go, and it's affordable.
However, the country is already designed for such a system (stores are
close to the city centers, and the cities are heavily populated), and the
people pay so much in taxes (75% for some!) that tax evasion is a national
sport.  I'm not saying that it won't work in America, but I'm saying that
it will work only in isolated areas or new developments built for such a
thing from the ground-up.  It may be idealistic to imagine well-designed
communities in the U.S., but the realistic viewpoint is that this doesn't
exist and probably won't for the forseeable future.  I believe the answer
is for us to find alternative sources of energy that are cheap enough that
the average person will be interested.

-Steve