Thank you very much Balaji

   We have  lot of cocunut husk hsk here all wasted .
we suerly need you help for  this project development
Can you  give us some details about the low cost brick or ceramic
gasificatio units for rural areas .
  What  about any new news from IIsc   gasifaction  adopted to rural areas.

Thanking you
yours sincerly

P.V.Pannirselvam

On 5/11/05, Balaji <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello Pannir, Mike, Thomas and Steve,
>
> The open top down draught reburn gasification process developed by Indian
> Institute of Science and
> used in our power and thermal systems generates about 5% of the biomass feed
> as charcoal, having ~
> 80% fixed carbon and Iodine Value of 450 -550. ( This IV is a measure of the
> mg of Iodine adsorbed
> per gm of charcoal and is different from the IV used to determine
> unsaturation in organic compounds
> such as fattty acids. Mehtylene Blue and CCl4 Carbon Tetra Chloride are other
> chemicals used to
> index the adsorptivity of carbon). We have developed a simple thermal
> activation process, where the
> dry charcoal as  above is held at 800 Deg C for a period of 2 - 3 hours and
> then cooled enhancing
> the Iodine Value to 800.
>
> Most municipalities in the country are mandated to use Activated Carbon of IV
> 500 to remove colour,
> odour and possibly some microbes. The online tap water filters in India use a
> variety of finely
> divided silver doped Activated Carbon which has higher IV.
>
> As you rightly point out, the inorganics (and some of the organics as well)
> are eluted with dilute
> mineral acid, the cheapest being dilute HCl, when more of the surface gets
> opened up, increasing the
> IV.
>
> This has particular relevance to rural areas, where power can be generated at
> the "pit head", so to
> speak and the charcoal used as an "organic" filter to provide clean drinking
> water from contaminated
> ground water. We are implementing a UNDP funded grid connected rural
> electirfication project in
> Karnataka where we hope to realise some of these ideas.
>
> I shall highly appreciate any leads to the study of ethanol's effect on the
> IV/surface area of
> charcoal.
>
> Regards.
>
> balaji

 Pagandai V Pannirselvam
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte - UFRN
Departamento de Engenharia Qu’mica - DEQ
Centro de Tecnologia - CT
Programa de P—s Gradua¨‹o em Engenharia Qu’mica - PPGEQ
Grupo de Pesquisa em Engenharia de Custos - GPEC

Av. Senador Salgado Filho, Campus Universit‡rio
CEP 59.072-970 , Natal/RN - Brasil

Residence :
Av  Odilon gome de lima, 2951,
   Q6/Bl.G/Apt 102