Hi Terry,
Looks like the reaction 2RCOONa + Ca (Acetate)2 --> (RCOO)2Ca + 2Na(Acetate) to me.
                              (soluble soap)  + (hard water) -->  (insol. scum) + (soluble salt)
Bill has achieved a way of removing fatty acids dissolved in biodiesel. Congrats to Bill. Sabash!
Terry DeSimone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello Bill,
           Thought I'd read about everything there was on biodiesel,but don't recall anything on water hardness. Could you direct me to a link or post so I can learn more about this? By "hardness" I'm assuming you mean calcium?
                                                                  Terry

Bill Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sorry for the unrelated text at the bottom of my last e-mail regarding
Acusorb beads. Meant to cut that.

I have been experiencing wash problems (bubble wash using Simon's super
bubbler), specifically failures in the wash test. At first I suspected
titration problems as well as process problems. Then I saw the message in
the archives regarding soft water. The municipal water supply in the City of
Eufaula is very soft (near 0 grains of hardness). It also has a pH of 8.5.
Treating the wash water with vinegar resulted in some reduction of emulsion
formation but not complete elimination of the problem.

After consulting the City's water works, I began using a water hardness
increaser made for use in swimming pools. The results were dramatic;
complete elimination of emulsions. I now use .5 oz. of hardness increaser in
50 gallons of wash water (200 gal. biodiesel) along with 1 cup of vinegar.
This increases hardness by 60 ppm. The manufacturer of the hardness
increaser informed me that I may see some scale formation with the addition
of vinegar but I will cross that bridge when I reach it.

As I stated in my previous post, I use Acusorb beads as the final step in my
washing process. It does a fine job of drying and buffering the biodiesel. I
now use 1 wash before filtering the biodiesel through the beads. A shake
test of the final product using distilled water results in very fast
separation with clear biodiesel on top and pH nuetral water on the bottom.

I am neither recommending nor condemning the use of Acusorb beads. I have
found a way to make them useful to me. My use of the beads is more a matter
of speed of process. If time were not a factor, the cost of the beads might
prohibit my use of them.

If there are factors I have neglected please let me know. Even though I have
good results in my final shake test, my obsessive-compulsive nature keeps me
from feeling cofident about anything.

Good biodieseling to everyone.

Bill Clark

Search the Biofuels-biz list archives: