You could test for specific gravity (use a hydrometer)
, viscosity, gel points (temp at which it starts to
solidify),  or flash points.

All of these need to be (about) right for an effective
fuel, and are easy to test for. I got a catalogue for
a schools chemistry supplier - they have all sorts of
cheap(ish) meters - tho we haven't tried em yet -
they're called Philip Harris and the phone no. is 0870
6000193 (UK only ). If you say your'e a school they'll
sell you chemicals (yuk yuk)

john

http://buzz.yahoo.com/

Biofuels at Journey to Forever