[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>You have to be cheaper to the customer than the alternative. When it
>comes to diesel fuel, nobody really cares a fig about it's greeness.
>They just want cheap fuel.

That's very sweeping, Dave. Lots of people care that it's cleaner,
including companies, and it makes a difference. It's also the best
publicity angle, and publicity really helps.

>Even in Germany where it's well
>established, biodiesel is about 10% cheaper at the pump than
>dinodiesel.
>
>Biodiesel is only successful in countries which have some sort of
>govt support, either as preferential tax rates (e.g. Germany) or
>where municiple authorities are expected to run low emission vehicles
>(USA).
>
>The only other areas where it can compete are where local labour is
>cheap and they have limited cash to buy in petroleum fuels (third
>world countries).
>
>Africa has fantastic potential as an oilpalm for biodiesel producer,
>but they won't get any investment until they sort out their political
>mess.

Also a bit sweeping. In general you have to remember that when you're
(necessarily in this case) a small guy competing with Big Oil, you're
on a playing field that is far from level. I think a careful
examination would show that nowhere do the subsidies for biodiesel
approach the total of the great varieties of subsidies for petroleum
fuels.

Best

Keith Addison