Cordain wrote:

<snip>

>Is anyone on this list already in commercial production. If so do you have a
>gas chromo on your premises are have your contracted with lab to do your
>testing. I'm not liscensed to fly one of those things, just curious to see
>how ASTM standards are met.

Hi Cordain

This could be the way to go:

... Until now, the standard for measuring biodiesel quality has been
a complex analytical method called gas chromatography, or simply GC.

"But GC is a complex piece of laboratory equipment, requiring
technical expertise and at least an hour to perform," said Gerhard H.
Knothe, an ARS chemist in Peoria, Ill. Another drawback of GC is it
requires chemical reagents and solvents that need special handling
and costly disposal.

Knothe has developed a safer and faster way to check the quality of
biodiesel fuel by using near-infrared spectroscopy (NIR). Much of the
pioneering work on biodiesel fuels began where Knothe works, at ARS'
National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research.

"NIR is a nifty tool also used for determining fatty acid composition
in vegetable oils and oil content in seeds," said Knothe. Another
plus: No special training is needed to perform the NIR test...

You just stick an optic-fibre probe in your biod and that's it. It
needs a one-off GC baseline test for comparison.

NIR Helps Turn Vegetable Oil into High-Quality Biofuel -- ARS News
Release, June 15, 1999
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/NIR.html

Dr Knothe sent me these papers on his work, now uploaded:

Rapid Monitoring of Transesterification and Assessing Biodiesel Fuel
Quality by Near-infrared Spectroscopy Using a Fiber-Optic Probe, by
Gerhard Knothe, JAOCS 76, 795-800 (July 1999)
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/NIR1.html

Monitoring a Progressing Transesterification Reaction by Fiber-Optic
Near Infrared Spectroscopy with Correlation to 1H Nuclear Magnetic
Resonance Spectroscopy, by Gerhard Knothe, JAOCS 77, 489-493 (May
2000)
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/NIR2.html

He also said:

"Probably the most time-consuming and relatively complex part of NIR
is developing the method and preferably verifying against another
analytical method (GC) with biodiesel that meets standards.  After
that, it should be straightforward.  As you indicate, please direct
any questions regarding that matter (I assume that would probably
generate the most) and any other inquiries to me and I will be happy
to try to answer them.

"Best regards,

"Gerhard Knothe"

So there you are.