Hi Steve

>Hi Keith
>
><<You're welcome. But don't abandon the ethanol idea, there could be
>several ways of doing it on a minor scale that might be worthwhile,
>and again outsourcing or cooperative deals could be the answer. I
>think cheap drying is still the stumbling block (needs to be
>anhydrous for ethyl esters, though not for fuel ethanol).>>
>
>I badly want to use ethanol for a zillion reasons - I definitely haven't
>given up on it - I guess its practicalities that are rearing their ugly
>heads at this early stage in my biz. On the subject of drying, I thought
>fuel grade eth had to be dry - to prevent phase separation between water and
>any gasoline that the eth could be blended with.

Two reasons for drying it: one, to make ethyl esters, two, to blend
it with gasoline. If you don't want to do either of those, just chuck
it in the tank, 180-proof's fine, even 160-proof's fine. 100-proof'll
do if you use a water injection system. Well, as long as you've
sorted the main jet and so on.

>We tested fuel grade eth
>from our biggest eth producer here in Aus (99.8% anhydrous, then denatured
>with 1% petrol added by vol) - gave great separation. Just want to get them
>to denature it with meth before we actually use it in bulk, that way when we
>can make our own meth from waste wood we'll really be fossil free.

Idaho said a bit of gasoline in the eth won't interfere with
transesterification, and only 1% is much less fossil input than with
meth - as you say, until you can make the meth yourself. But it's the
price of the eth I guess.

>Regarding separation, this is the only fragment I found suggests a seemingly
>simple method (provided you have liq. notrogen handling skills/facilities);
>http://wine1.sb.fsu.edu/chm1046/notes/SolnProp/Collig/Collig.htm
>in particular the phrase;
>"If an aqueous solution of ethanol is frozen, the water selectively freezes
>as a pure substance and the ethanol (with a lower freezing point) is
>squeezed out as pure ethanol." Would love feedback/thoughts on that one...

It was discussed awhile back on the Biofuels list. Joe Martelle, who
works in the GM labs, had this to say:

"When I posted that the EtOH would act as an antifreeze and keep the
water from freezing out of the solution I assumed we were talking high
concentrations of alcohol and trying to make it anhydrous. Say good
distillation
gives you 190 proof ethanol (95%) freezing will not drop out the water.

"I took 20mL of 95% EtOH and subjected it to -20 degrees C. for 30 minutes,
then took it down to -30 deg. C for 30 minutes. No ice was formed in either
instance. I did not feel it was necessary to go much colder than
that, but I can
if any one wants me to.

"So, freezing is not a viable method of getting anhydrous EtOH for BioD
production. I hope that answers your question, Robert.  Cheers, Joe"

It seemed it would work for wine or beer, but not high-proof.

Have you seen these?

Cornmeal Adsorber for Dehydrating Ethanol Vapors
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_grits.html

Separating Ethanol From Water
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/eth_separate.html

Absolute Alcohol Using Glycerine
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/Mariller.html

The Manual for the Home and Farm Production of Alcohol Fuel
by S.W. Mathewson
Chapter 12 DRYING THE ALCOHOL
General Description
Absorption Methods
Drying With Lime
Azeotropic Methods
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_manual/manual12.html

Plus 3A zeolytes, usual commercial method. Had lots of reports of
people checking out small-scale zeolytes, but no results yet.

><<if only we could find an easy/cheap way of purifying the glyc by-product
>from biod>>
>
>In terms of money spent on equipment that should be pivotal to that
>business' success, the equipment offered by Rescience (your link again!
>Legend...) looks very cost-effective (we are on a biofuels - BIZ group,
>no?). They offer a biodiesel makers specially-specced unit, and want
>$75,000AUD ($31,000US) for a unit that will do 100 gallons an hour of any
>solvent recycling - methanol/ethanol recovery from a BD/GLYC solution before
>separation, pure glyc from the crude process biproduct, etc etc in a very
>safe manner. They (Rescience) tell me they already sell these to BD makers
>in Europe and the US.

David Hollenback at U of Idaho, who gave me that info, said they'd
found a used one for US$5,000.

>I say cost-effective for two reasons.
>a) At a $2,500AUD average market price per tonne for 99.5BP glycerine my
>maths shows this will recoup very quickly, especially if I offer to bulk up
>with other BD makers biproducts for a resonable rate. (We will eventually
>oversupply the market and prices will have to fall - I have seen economic
>news items stating that it already has due to Euro BD production.)

But you'll have got your money back by then.

>b) By way of comparison, it costs $250,000AUD + to buy the required
>truck/trailer setup to compete in the Aus interstate freight game, only to
>find that you'll return that investment over at least five years (but only
>just...), but have to stay current so must update every two years or so, to
>keep the contract!!!
>
>Re Gas Chromatography, here's a firm I found that may put it in our reach
>(NIR notwithsatnding), again if you consider co-op'ing and hirng it out to
>other BD makers
>http://www.srigc.com/

Thankyou! Didn't manage to find an NIR machine too, did you? I'm sure
co-op'ing and hiring it out is the way to go with this sort of gear,
especially since so many people are thinking small-scale, local-level
operations (which is also the way to go, IMHO).

Best

Keith Addison

<snip>

>Steve Woolcott