Von: Neoteric Biofuels Inc. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 10. April 2002 20:21
An: biofuels-biz@yahoogroups.com
Betreff: Re: [biofuels-biz] SVO?

Camillo -

Obviously, emissions  results of acrolein, aldehyde etc. will vary
widely
depending on a large number of factors, including engine type,
condition,
load, operating temperature, characteristics of the oil, contributions
from
the engine lubricating oil, exhaust gas after-treatment, etc.

Next, whatever  level of emissions  actually occur,  has to be put into
perspective.

If you average all the above for a wide range of conditions, what is the
amount and speciation of the emissions generated?

Then, look at  fates, exposure pathways and exposure levels. Acrolein,
for
example, does not persist or accumulate in the atmosphere, it has a half
life of about 12 hours, and a lifetime of about 17 hours. (US EPA)

The toxicological endpoint in humans for acrolein is the respiratory
system.
RfC (reference concentration) is 0.02g/m according to US EPA - exposure
below that level, over a lifetime, would not be expected to  result in
occurrence of chronic, non-cancer effects. How many SVO diesels in what
proximity for how many hours of operation per day does it take to get to
that level of exposure? How might any risk, if it exists, be  mitigated?
These are the basics of toxicology and risk assessment, and they are
often
missed in exclamations and pronouncements of fitness for use of a
particular
substance in a particular application.

Then shall we look at biodiesel and its emissions? Whose study will we
look
at? The Chalmers study? Biodiesel did not fare much better than rapeseed
oil
in that one. Perhaps the German Federal one that found biodiesel not
worthwhile in general? No, I don't think so, that is not productive, is
it?

Should we discuss the glut of glycerine from biodiesel production, a
problem
in itself, and one other reason why the research on SVO options
continues?

Production, transport and use of methanol? It's usual source,
non-renewable
natural gas, produced often, in conjunction with fertilizer plants?
Emissions from those plants? Emissions getting the methanol product to
where
it is needed, risk of spills, etc.? And this (methanol) is the least
expensive and most commonly used alcohol in biodiesel production, and
95% or
so does come from natural gas (which we have seen can quickly spike in
price, which the individual cannot produce easily and cheaply, or have
any
control over)

 Emissions to transport the glycerine to market, processing?

CO2 life cycle emissions reduction comparisons?

Energy balance?

Capital /labour requirements?

Wastewater generated?

Safety of the materials stored, used and handled? (exposures, spills)

Ability of local, small producers to compete in biodiesel production
against
large interests or even to be able to be allowed to produce?

Water hazard classification of biodiesel versus vegetable oil
(disagreement
there, even...on the relative toxicity of vegetable oil versus
biodiesel).

Other uses of the stored product, if needed (drastic and far-fetched,
yes,
but vegoil can be mixed and fed, or eaten, if need be -  and nutrition
derived from it - in an emergency)

The relatively higher cost of production of biodiesel?

On and on it goes.

So, if biodiesel is too expensive and therefore will not be used in some
places instead of petrodiesel, then the preferred option would be SVO,
which
is cheaper and often closer in price to petrodiesel - at least here it
is.

For the farmer, SVO  is a simple and inexpensive option that makes sense
-
at least as much or more economic, technical, sustainability and
emissions
"sense" than biodiesel production.

You say yourself that the amount involved is "(very little)" of these
"very
nasty poisons". How much is too much is little enough that the overall
benefits outweigh any concerns in this regard?

Look at the whole picture, and don't get caught up in fear-mongering and
disinformation - the jury is still out on all of this, so don't cast SVO
as
if its any kind of foregone conclusion that its an "either/or"
situation,
with biodiesel being obviously vastly superior on all counts.

This debate continues and will not be resolved any time soon.

 I believe actually that the outcome will be that both SVO and biodiesel
will find support, depending on costs, available feedstock, and
application.

Either is better than burning petrodiesel, with the many emissions and
other
problems of that fuel.

Regards,

Edward Beggs