http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=12917
AlterNet --
So, You Want to Buy a Green Car ... Or Do You?
Allie Gottlieb, Metro Silicon Valley
http://www.metroactive.com
April 19, 2002

If you're like me, and you are, you want a good, cheap, fast, safe
and cute car that can take you to work and back, and out for fun, on
little or no gas. You also need room to cart around your laptop, your
nonfat latte, a pal and your four-piece silver-sparkle Ludwig drum
set, which in my case is named Natasha J. Sparky.

Since we've got so much in common, it makes sense to share car-search
secrets. I'll start. What I've learned about the latest electric,
hybrid and just plain cuter- or cleaner-than-thou vehicles that you
can buy or lease at this moment there are plenty of choices,
combinations and features. Sorting them all out is confusing but not
impossible.

The ones accessible to me as of presstime were the BMW Mini Cooper,
the Honda Insight, the Honda Civic Hybrid, the Honda Civic GX
natural-gas vehicle, the Toyota Prius, the Toyota Rav4 EV, the Corbin
Sparrow, the Ford Th!nk, the Ford Ranger EV and the DaimlerChrysler
GEM.

Idling Politics

Here's another thing I've learned. Despite all the chatter about fuel
efficiency from the Legislature lately, and the attempts by various
cities to get their fleets on a greener track, this has been a
slow-going revolution with plenty of setbacks.

Witness last month's rise and fall of the Corporate Average Fuel
Economy standards: Senator John Kerry's (D-Mass.) proposal to require
new vehicles to average a respectable 36 mpg of gas by 2015 did a
giant belly flop. SUVs get to be an estimated 25 percent more
polluting than other cars. Gasoline has drivers over an oil barrel,
and so, as they do in any time of war with oil-producing nations, gas
prices are going up.

Despite all this, a good clean car is still hard to find. It seems
like we should have evolved more by now. For years, there's been hope
that cars will become greener in the form of research on cleaner
cars. The web is overflowing with information about "alternative fuel
vehicles" from the U.S. Department of Energy and agencies like the
Natural Resources Defense Council that push for fuel-efficiency
legislation.

Car dealers, however, blame the public's disinterest for the
Greenmobile's underwhelming entrance into the market. Almost no one
pays any real attention to environmental ratings when buying a car,
the dealers say. Not like, say, the kind of cup holders it has, or
how the bike rack attaches or that all-important consumer issue:
color.

And those fuel inefficient SUVs remain hugely popular, regardless of
the fact that they are extraordinarily polluting. According to
GreenerCars.com, SUVs pollute about twice as much as, say, my Civic,
which on average discharges 2 tons a year more carbon dioxide badness
than the Insight.

"Although engines in general are becoming more efficient, smoother
and better-performing, the trend toward larger SUVs and pickups has
contributed to the average fuel economy dipping to its lowest point
in more than 20 years," notes Consumer Reports' 2002 auto trends
report.

So that's the bad news, but there's hope.

Frankenfans

Existing green cars have their fans. According to a Department of
Energy report, last year there were nearly 500,000 alternative-fuel
vehicles on the roads in the United States. Of those half-million
cars, 10,400 were electric.

Consumers dedicate websites to electric cars and half-gas,
half-electric hybrids, or frankencars. One fan posted a diary all
about his 1999 electric Sparrow on the Internet and has kept it up
for three years. Another self-described electric-car enthusiast,
Joseph Lado from Virginia (who doesn't actually drive an electric
car, evidently is dissatisfied with the way they are charged and is
trying to help start a company that sells better ones) summarizes
alternatives to Old Man Combustion.

"We can manufacture a practical electric car NOW," Lado declares in a
column he sent out for publication. Lado touts regenerative braking,
used currently by the hybrids to recharge their batteries. He lauds
solar power as another recharging source. Lado seems an appropriate
representation of the electric-car industry. He sounds
half-reasonable, half-kooky. Another recharging idea he lists in his
column is the robot in the driveway: "It's either a robot arm or some
other mechanical device that automatically pops up and connects your
electric car to a source of electricity (i.e., an outlet)."

Who's Driving Whom?

Currently, car manufacturers that distribute in the United States are
producing cleaner cars. They have to because the Environmental
Protection Agency makes them. By 2003, zero-emission vehicles must
make up 10 percent of each major automaker's stock. However,
manufacturers apparently aren't required to make these cars entirely
available to the public. They only need to meet their quota of
zero-emission vehicles. Then dealers get to decide which cars to
push, and buyers get to pick the ones they want.

Despite being shoved around by the EPA and CARB, car makers aren't
the innocent babes they might appear to be. They can design
problematic eco-friendly cars. These cars mostly cost too much,
because, industry reps claim, they're more expensive to make.

Honda sales rep Kevin Brooks estimates that it costs $90 more per car
for a manufacturer to make a catalytic converter that cleans a car
enough to meet California's "super-ultralow emissions" standard,
rather than just the "ultralow." Manufacturers pass on the higher
cost of making cleaner cars to customers. (You might, too, if you had
to pay for say 10,000 cleaner cars.)

The government doles out incentives for green car-buying. California
tries to appeal to drivers' yen to beat traffic with a carpool-lane
exemptions for electric and compressed natural gas (but not hybrid)
vehicles. Drivers can file for an occupancy-exemption sticker from
the Department of Motor Vehicles. The federal and state governments
also try to entice car buyers into the cleaner emissions scene with
thousands of dollars in tax breaks and credits.

But some of the lower-emission technology, like powerful electric
batteries, is so expensive that the financial incentives seem
meaningless for those unburdened by wealth. For instance, you can get
$9,000 back after buying the RAV4 EV, but this small SUV costs more
than $42,000!

Most of the cars I test-drove fall well outside my price range of
$8,000 to $10,001. Most also fell into California's two
least-polluting categories: Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle or Zero
Emissions Vehicle. The Cooper weighs in with ultralow emissions and
boasts the further distinction of being the only stick-shift I
test-drove.

Yeah I'm Green ... If Green Means Cheap

Most conversations about fuel efficiency in the news magically turn
into moral debates about the bad people who drive SUVs or the showy
liberals who can afford expensive statement cars. That's kind of
stupid given that, ultimately, cars are practical, point-A-to-point-B
tools. I think driving an electric car is pretty much like driving a
cell phone: the roaming limitations are highly inconvenient, and
there's always the vague lingering concern that somehow it will give
you cancer.

When it comes down to it, my concern for the environment pretty much
disappears when I buy a car. Sure, intellectually I'm rooting for the
ozone layer. But I have to be able to afford a car before I can drive
it. And it has to work the whole way to my destination. And it must
look cool -- the way the Mini looked when Mary Stuart Masterson drove
it as Watts (a drummer; everything comes full circle!) in 1987's
smash hit Some Kind of Wonderful.

Allie Gottlieb writes for the Metro Silicon Valley, where this
article first appeared.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.