http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/15637/story.htm
Planet Ark : INTERVIEW -
Thailand to swap farm surplus for clean air

SINGAPORE: April 24, 2002

SINGAPORE - Thailand, one of the world's top producers of farm
products, plans to launch a national project to convert some of its
surplus commodities into biofuel for cleaner air, a senior government
official said yesterday.

Ruangsak Ngamsompark, secretary-general at the Industry Ministry's
cane and sugar board, told Reuters the country's first commercial
ethanol plant would begin operation later this year after Bangkok
last week approved steps to promote biofuel.

He was in Singapore for a two-day conference on biofuels.

Along with India, Thailand is spearheading the move in Asia as Europe
takes the lead in a global shift towards biofuels, which are
renewable and more environmentally-friendly than fossil fuels,
although more expensive.

Despite Thai failure over the past decade to replace petrol and
diesel with ethanol due to large swings in crude oil prices, Ruangsak
is confident that this time it will succeed.

"Our target is not only ethanol price stability, but we would like to
secure the environment also. Apart from that, we can...reduce imports
of oils that will effect our economy."

Bangkok is putting various policies in place, including excise tax
exemption for ethanol and income tax waiver for investors for the
first eight years and reduction in income taxes to 50 percent for the
following five years.

Bangkok has already approved five ethanol projects, with total
production capacity of 800,000 litres/day.

It plans to boost the output to two million litres/day in the next
four to five years from initial target of 800,000 as it encourages
blending ethanol up to 10 percent into petrol, instead of toxic
additive known as methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE).

Distilled from renewable crops, such as sugarcane, ethanol as fuel
reduces greenhouse gas emissions. It is also a clean replacement for
MTBE that seeks out and pollutes groundwater.

HUGE FARM SURPLUSES

Ruangsak said Thai consumers, who currently use about 20 million
litres of petrol a day for transport, were likely to opt for the
bio-fuel, called gasohol, as it would be priced 0.5-0.7 baht litre
(1.2-1.6 U.S. cents) below conventional petrol.

Unlike in Europe, where fuel ethanol is now produced mainly from
rapeseed, or the United States which uses corn, Thailand wants to use
cassava, also known as tapioca, and molasses made from sugar cane.

Ruangsak said this would help absorb the country's annual surpluses
in cassava of 2-4 million tonnes and hundreds of thousands of tonnes
of molasses, made from sugar cane, which has depressed the
commodity's price.

"Normally we export raw materials outside Thailand. There are no
reasons why we cannot convert them into more value-added products,"
he said. "If we can produce more at low costs, we can export also
ethanol."

The government could also save about 300 million baht ($6.98
million), which it currently spends per year to help farmers cope
with very low cassava prices.

While Thai cassava output is about 18-20 million each year, its
exports are about 14 million tonnes, leaving 2-4 million tonnes of
surplus. Domestic consumption is about two million.

Its molasses output is likely to reach 2.6-2.7 million, if not three
million tonnes, this year, while its domestic demand stood at around
1.7 million tonnes. It could convert 800,000 tonnes into ethanol,
instead of selling abroad, he said.

REUTERS NEWS SERVICE

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.