--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "motie_d" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "manickh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have brewed ethanol at almost theoretical yields (Gay-Lussac),
> > without  using cultures, repeatedly in batch systems, and also
> > distilled these batches into 90% spirit in a fractionating
column,
> > and thereafter into 200 proof ethanol using azeotropes. This was
> > conducted mainly to demonstrate that carbohydrates from tapioca
or
> > sugar-cane could easily be made into green auto fuel. End of
> story.
>

>  OK, you got my attention! What was your cost of producing it?
>
> Motie

Estimates of ethanol costs were obtained as follows in a lab study
about 5 years ago in Malaysia.These r in Malaysian dollars, the
conversion to USD is 1 USD= 3.8 Malaysian dollars. These costs r for
1 kg alcohol as product. Raw material 2.25 kg tapioca starch  costing
$1.35, enzymes .01 kg costing $0.15.
Heat load <1800 Kcal costing $0.06 utilising waste-wood, giving total
of $1.56 for these items. 1kg CO2 is costed as a credit  at $0.50.
Equipment, capital, transport.etc were not estimated since these are
minor. Net cost is only $1.06 per kg alcohol. The processes involved
are very simple-as simple as the preparation of biodiesel described
recently in the website. The CO2 is actually sold to an integrated
facility making precipitated silica from organic silicates present in
biomass. The CO2 is utilized efficiently in the silica process.
Please note that I have not taken CO2 at `dry ice' price.
Now the cost of petrol was between $1.50-3.00 in neighbouring
countries at this period but not Malaysia where prices were
controlled. I am of the opinion that ethanol was  in a position   to
compete against fossil fuels 5 years ago and ,of course, now. However
there are still no organizations or companies in Malaysia with which
I could partner as an inventor. This is probably the main reason why
backyard inventors cannot  `strike it rich'. I would like to be
informed if the situation differs in the US and how these concepts
could be commercialized . Thanks for listening and regards.
manickh

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.