Some recent discussion on water injection focused on the cooling
effect of the water and or ethanol. That is important as it would
increase the effective turbo boost and increase the power output. If
the boost effect is substantial though the increase in cylinder
pressures must be a concern. Can the bottom end of the motor take it?
Similar problem to after market fitting of turbos.
Water CAN be blended with diesel!!  A bus company in NSW (AUS) is
trialing a 10% water emulsion using an emulsifying agent imported
from the US. The stable emulsion looks like milk. The mix has a
detergent effect, requiring precleaning of the fuel system to prevent
filter blockage. In addition a coarser fuel filter is fitted.
Apparently the water droplets are surrounded by diesel creating an
effectively large particle size. The reported effects on pollution
are similar to those recorded for diodiesel. In Bundaberg QLD a plant
produces diesahol- a blend of ethanol with diesel. I have mixed
absolute ethanol (and methanol) with biodiesel 50:50, the solution
has been stable for 8 months now-no separation and no apparent
freezing in response to sub zero nights.
Low sulphur diesel has low lubricity and requires addition of a
lubricant. I expect that either the water blend or the diesahol would
be worse. It makes sense that the lubricant be biodiesel as it would
also improve some of the fuel properties. I have no figures on the
effect of either the water or Ethanol on Cetane but I would expect it
to be lowered, both are reported to improve milage and power.
Ethanol, bio and diesel blend quite well; to blend the water seems to
require a "detergent" or emulsifier and since Fatty Acid Alcohols are
the biodegradable detergents from the Eighties it follows that the
biodiesel plant could provide them as well. I will look at the
chemistry.
Finding the best proportions of the four ingredients would require
some factorial experimentation and may come down to cost
effectiveness.
It seems that this blend may be the most practical application of the
current technology.
For those interested in the blending process itself, consider
homogenisation. Forcing a mixture through a slot at 3000 PSI onto
an "anvil" apparently breaks up the particles in a way that prevents
the components from separating hence creating a stable emulsion. The
same may apply to the high freezing point Esters that have the
potential to clog filters in cold weather, the crystals are very long
and fibrous, just begging to be broken up by homogenisation. An
alternative to removing them by winterisation.
Regards from Harry.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.