>I know that I can be a little thick but can some one help me to get
>this problem with climate change. Perhaps the rapidity and direction
>of climate change has been affected by human intervention but so
>what? Nothing in nature is constant and natural systems must have
>evolved to cope with change. Man is probably the most adaptable of
>animals. With more energy in the system weather events will be more
>extreme but wouldn't that mean shorter droughts as well? OK moving a
>desert is going to alter realestate prices but does that mean that
>world wide productivity will be reduced? Storm surges will probably
>make some Islands uninhabitable but there is plenty of room in
>Australia for those near us and by the looks of things those
>Islanders with money have already come here, it's just a matter of
>taking the rest. I'm not in favour of the things that have caused
>global warming, nonrenewable resources should not be wasted but is
>this real or just a supporting argument for sustainability?
>The literature on this is so vast I can't read it all so has anyone
>come across the stuff I need, something that doesn't simply assume
>that change is bad or count the cost of moving uphill in $US.
>Thanks from Harry.

Where've you been Harry? Real-estate??

Bangladesh, for instance, isn't some insignificant little island. A
sea rise of only one metre (very conservative estimate) would turn
tens of millions of Bangladeshis into refugees. They're already
seeing the effects there. Judging by your current performance with
Afghans, will Australia be welcoming them all with open arms and
gift-wrapped new lives?

What it means is highly unstable weather conditions, varying widely
from place to place - shorter droughts, longer droughts, droughts in
places where there've never been droughts and no strategies for
surviving them, same with floods, same with heat, same with cold.
That'll leave millions or billions of people out on a limb, as well
as many or most of our food crops facing climates they don't know how
to grow in, along with altogether new opportunities for pests and
diseases, of crops, livestock, people, and everything else, to expand
into new target populations that have no local immunities or defences
against them. That and much more - read disaster upon disaster.
Catastrophe. It's all happening already.

This might help to explain your confusion:
http://www.prwatch.org/prwv4n4.pdf

Also these:

http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/climate/
New Scientist | Environment Report | Climate Change

http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/climate/climatetrends.jsp
New Scientist | Environment Report | Climate Change - Global climate trends

http://climatechange.unep.net/
Climate change: UNEP.Net, the Environment Network
key issues
        Introduction to climate change
        Causes and evidence
        Environmental impact
        Social and economic impact
        Solutions and abatement
        Conventions and treaties

"Climate Change 2001" at the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change site - three sections, "The Scientific Basis", "Impacts,
Adaptation and Vulnerability", "Mitigation":
http://www.ipcc.ch/pub/tar/index.htm

Keith

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX