Reinhard Henning wrote:

>Albert Einstein often said: "Use the simplest thing that works, as
>long as it's the best thing."

The proviso is critical, and in many cases it's context-sensitive - I
believe this is the case with the biodiesel vs SVO argument. In the
end it boils down to a matter of particular circumstances and
individual preferences.

>This in mind one should compare the two actual possibilities to use
>plant oil as fuel:
>
>1) adaptation of the oil to the engine (bio-diesel, BD)
>2) modification of the engine to run on pure plant oil (straight
>vegetable oil, svo)
>
>Plant oil is pure stored solar energy in its densiest form (9,2 kg
>/l). It contains only the elements carbon C, hydrogen H and oxygen
>O. In the simplest way it is produced only by grinding of seeds and
>pressing (ram presses, expellers) it. Purification by sedimentation
>and / or filtration: Can somebody imagine a simpler method of
>producing highly concentrated, environmentally friendly energy.
>
>In a short term planning, it is interesting to use biodiesel,
>because you can use the already existing car engines.
>
>But in a longer perspective, it is more interesting to adapt the
>engines to run on pure plant oil (SVO). And you have all the
>advantages of an decentralized fuekl production. And you dont need a
>chemical workshop to produce your own fuele at home. A ram press for
>about 200 $ and some plastc barrel is all you need.

That is not convincing Reinhard. In the future more diesels will
probably be adapted to SVO use, but that will leave millions of
vehicles all over the world not so adapted, bringing us back to the
same choice between making biodiesel and rigging a two-tank system
with heating etc to use SVO... on some vehicles, maybe not on others,
whereas biodiesel will work in any diesel.

There is also a shortage of good, long-term studies on the effects of
using SVO, unlike with biodiesel, and no long-term studies on the use
of WVO that I'm aware of. None of the European manufacturers of SVO
systems covers the use of WVO, right?

Biodiesel also gives you the advantage of decentralised fuel production.

There is no need to have a chemical workshop to produce biodiesel at
home. It is simple.

$200 would more than cover the costs of everything needed to make
biodiesel, and no need for a ram press.

>For the mean time, you can convert your diesel engines into plant
>oil engines (the still run on diesel). The conversion kits are not
>expensive, but they are a bit different for one engine or the other.
>(The Mercedes 123 engine doesn't have to be modified at all. You
>just run it with SVO. If its cold, you add some diesel.

Some kits are better than others. Some kits are not to be recommended
at all. Some manufacturers claim their kits are suitable for any
diesel in any climate, using WVO, and this is not true. But people
buy these kits anyway, and there are plenty of stories of ruined
pumps. Again, I know of no such stories with biodiesel use.

And WVO remains a problem. If this valuable waste resource, used by
many or most small-scale biodiesel makers, is to be used in straight
SVO systems it has to be pre-treated, with not much less processing
required than that needed to make biodiesel. And you still won't have
the guaranteed results that biodiesel will give you.

>In Germany, the producer of the tractors for agriculture are already
>very interested to offer SVO-versions of their diersel engines to
>the farmers (Deutz, John Deere). So in a short future, probably the
>truck engine producers will do the same and later the car engine
>producers.

Which still leaves the older motors, especially in the Third World.

>Another important argument for the use of SVO instead of BD is the
>energy input for its production. With BD it is about 1/3, i.e. you
>need about 30% of the energy of 1 litre of BD to produce 1 litre of
>BD (in form of Merthanol or aethanol, chemicals,
>destillation/purification).

That depends very much on how it's done, and in what setting.

>For the production of SVO you need only about 15 % (12 % for
>agriculture, 3 % for oil extraction). If you use ecological advanced
>production methods, you can reduce these 12 % considerably.

Your second sentence applies to on-farm biodiesel production too.

I have some arguments with Schrimpff's chart as well.

>Ernst Schrimpff of the Tecnical College of Weihenstephan, Germany,
>listed 8 parameters to compare SVO with BD. Here his list (partly):
>
>see also the attachment or:
>
>http://jatropha.org/p-o-engines/svo-bd-characteristics.htm
>
>                                       Plant oil (SVO)         biodiesel (BD)
>
>1) Physical characteristics:
>
>physical density                       0,90 - 0,92                     0,88
>
>viscosity                              60 - 80                 7 - 8
>
>ignition point                 > 220                           135
>
>2) Chemical characteristics:
>
>phosphate mg/kg                        < 15                            < 15
>
>sulphur mg/kg                  < 10                            < 10
>
>Chem. reaction                 neutral, very low
>       hygroscopic, solvent, fast reaction
>
>3) Production:
>
>principle                              decentralized small
>       central, big industrial units

The biodiesel entry here is wrong - it should read the same as for
SVO: decentralized small.

>                                       oil expellers
>chemical compounds needed      -
>       methanol, potassium hydroxyd
>
>energy input                   12 %                            29 %

Questionable.

>5) Transport / storage         no risk                 small risk

In the US, no risk.

>6) Environment
>
>biol. degradation                      very fast                       delayed

The EPA findings contradict this. You can find this information via
the NBB site.

>danger to water                        no                              small

The EPA findings contradict this too. Biodiesel is used for
remediating oil spills after all. Whereas rapeseed oil can be highly
destructive in a water spill.

>human toxicity                 regularly no            toxic
>                                       (or small)

Not so - biodiesel is non-toxic, again according to the EPA.

>material circuit                       complete
>       difficult to realize
>
>7) Social acceptability
>
>strategy                               small, decentralized    big, central

Wrong: read "small, decentralized" for biodiesel.

>logistics                              simple                  komplex

Not so - the many thousands of people with no technical or chemistry
qualifications all over the world who're successfully making their
own biodiesel testify to that. And I reject the argument that they
cannot make a quality product - they do make a quality product.

>transportation                 short distances         long distances

Not so: read "short distances" for biodiesel. Should really be short
or zero distance for both.

>vulnerability                  small                           higher

Based on what?

>regional income                        high                            low
>generation

Not so - biodiesel is an excellent candidate for micro-regional
production efforts, with great local benefits.

>8) Costs
>
>fuel production                        0,25 - 0,40
>       0,45 - 0,60 US$
>
>fuel prices                            0,45 - 0,55
>       0,70 - 0,85 US$

Neither of these apply to small-scale local brewers.

This is perhaps a more useful (and simpler) chart than Schrimpff's:

Needs processing
Biodiesel Yes
SVO/WVO Less

Guaranteed trouble-free
Biodiesel Yes
SVO/WVO No

Engine conversion
Biodiesel No
SVO/WVO Yes

Cheaper
Biodiesel  Sometimes
SVO/WVO Usually

I've had this argument here before. I'll probably be accused of
favouring biodiesel over SVO. In fact I favour neither, or rather
both. As I said at the start, it depends on the circumstances and
individual preferences.

There are two pages at Journey to Forever where this choice is
discussed - here:
Three choices
1. Mixing it
2. Straight vegetable oil
3. Biodiesel
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#3choices

... and, in somewhat more detail, here, at the page you reffed below (thanks!):
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html
Straight vegetable oil as diesel fuel:
Guide to using vegetable oil as diesel fuel
SVO systems