>Here is something interesting from Detroit!
>
>"GM's Opel brand brought a turbo diesel approach to fuel efficiency in an
>aggressive sports car called the Eco-Speedster, which again features a
>carbon-fiber body. The 112-hp two-seater concept car achieves 94 mpg and
>can reach a top speed of 155 mph."
>
>And we wonder why we can't have this back in the US?!  Then again. it is
>only a concept car.  :(
>
>Prolly is BD certified also ....
>
>Full link:
>
>http://www.afdc.doe.gov/whatsnew.shtml

Maybe not "only" a concept car James. They call it a prototype here,
as well as a concept car:

"The world premiere of this spectacular prototype marks the start of
the biggest diesel campaign in Opel's history. By the end of 2003 the
company will introduce four all-new common rail diesel engines across
the range, with power outputs of up to 130 kW (177 hp)."
http://www.autointell.com/News-2002/October-2002/October-2002-1/Octobe
r-02-02-p5.htm
The Opel Eco-Speedster: Sports car prototype as a bold stroke to
launch Opel's diesel campaign

This one does mention Detroit, sort of:

"More than that, it's intended to flag up the start of a major diesel
offensive. Between now and the end of next year, Vauxhall will launch
four all-new diesel engines with power outputs up to 177bhp. Much
better late than never, because outsiders have never been able to
understand (other than suggesting dull-witted thinking in Detroit)
why GM's European divisions were allowed to let the opposition waltz
away into common rail turbo diesel technology without following suit.

"Now, of course, Fiat is involved as well. GM's Italian associate was
already in possession of the JTD technology which transferred so
well, not only to its own-badge cars, but also to Alfa Romeo sports
saloons which didn't seem to lose any of their appeal when fuelled by
diesel rather than petrol."

http://www.carkeys.co.uk/features/FE000450.htm
Eco-Speedster Stresses Both

 From the Paris Motor Show. I put it on our "Do diesels have a
future?" page a couple of weeks ago.
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_future.html

Prolly is BD-certified, yes, or will be. Or should be.

On the other hand, have you seen this?

It's An ENIGMA, EV World, March 3, 2002 -- Who said you can't build a
parallel hybrid with 20 miles ZEV range? Not the team at San Diego
State University. A remarkable story of ingenuity, vision and
determination that lead to the creation of San Diego State
University's 80 mpg Enigma diesel-electric hybrid sports car, running
on biodiesel.
http://evworld.com/databases/storybuilder.cfm?storyid=312

Best

Keith

>James S.

Share the magic of Harry Potter with Yahoo! Messenger
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4Q_cgB/JmBFAA/46VHAA/9bTolB/TM