Hi MM

I'm not entirely convinced either, but it's a good angle, maybe
they'll buy it. Worth a try.

I've given some figures a couple of times on how much WVO is produced
in the US. I've said "estimates", and they vary quite widely, from a
low of 500 million gallons of WVO per year (but the same person later
said 1 billion gallons) to a high of about 4 billion gallons.

This guy said in 2000: "It is estimated that total raw material
availability from these sources is around 2 billion pounds."

http://www.usda.gov/agency/oce/waob/oc2000/speeches.htm
speeches from ag outlook forum 2000

NEW MARKETS FOR BIO-BASED ENERGY AND INDUSTRIAL FEEDSTOCKS
Bio-diesel - Will There Be Enough?
John B. Campbell, Vice President, Agriculture Processors
http://www.usda.gov/oce/waob/oc2000/speeches/campbell.txt

Somewhat less than 2 billion gallons.

How can these estimates be out by possibly as much as 100%? A bit
telling. And he presumes it's all collected. Judging by what goes on
in other industrialized nations, probably about 10% of it is
collected. He also doesn't seem to have figured that there's no
future in rendering it for livestock feed, the BSE debacle will put
paid to that, as it's doing in other parts of the world and starting
to do in the US too. Effective waste collection just doesn't happen
unless it's fully localised, at point of use, and that's not the case
with waste oils anywhere that I know of. In the US much of it ends up
in sewers and landfills, and most biodieselers and the SVO folks find
it's free for the taking. Biodieselers are a great way to localise
the collection of waste oils effectively.

I also saw this, but haven't managed to confirm it: "Every year, U.S.
businesses throw away enough waste vegetable oil to replace 10% of
the petroleum products consumed in the country."

U.S. Petroleum Consumption - 19,649,000 Barrels / Day
Dependence on Net Petroleum Imports - 54.3%
Barrel: A unit of volume equal to 42 U.S. gallons.

I guess anyone who takes up this issue should maybe try to find an
"official" figure for WVO production in the US and its eventual fate.

Another possible issue is ag surpluses, a different kind of "waste".
Currently 2.1 billion - 2.5 billion pounds of surplus soy oil. In
2000 there was a surplus of about a billion bushels of corn, probably
more than that now (cheap enough to burn in your stove). That's a LOT
of oil being maintained at the taxpayer's expense, for what?

1 Bushel of corn = 3.6 gallons of fuel oil.

A typical bushel of corn weighs 56 pounds. 1 bushel provides 2.5
gallons of ethanol fuel, 14.4 pounds of feed, 1.6 pounds of corn oil.

(Of course it needn't take 3.6 gallons of fuel oil to produce 1
bushel of corn, nor any at all, but it does.)

Funny, with all this crap put about by David Pimentel on the alleged
energy inefficiency of ethanol from corn (NOT), I've never seen the
corn oil brought into the picture. Different lobbies I suppose, ne'er
the twain shall meet.

Much agree with you that we've all got much more in common than not.
I was going to mention hybrids, but Curtis did it already, very
nicely - good point of contact between EVers and biodieselers.

We used to have quite a lot of stuff about EVs here. I filed whatever
EV news I came across, others did the same and discussed it. Then,
awhile back, a very cranky EV guy made some preposterous claims and a
row developed. Some of us had some doubts about promoting EVs in 3rd
World countries, where there's no infrastructure for battery
recycling, for instance. He went into furious denial about it. It
emerged that, according to his own figures, between four million and
seven million batteries a year get dumped, not recycled, in the US,
where there's good infrastructure for recycling. But he insisted on
calling this THE recycling success story. And so on, very tedious.
When people here wouldn't accept that, he started putting it about
that we're anti-EVs on this list. I got rather cross about that and
said so - maybe we were anti-him, a different matter. But the damage
seemed to be done, and there's not been much about EVs since. I'd be
glad if that changed (hint hint), especially in the area of synergy
between EVs and biofuels, but not only.

Regards

Keith

Biofuels at Journey to Forever