Hi Todd

>Not a complete list to be sure.

Indeed not, thanks for filling it out. There've been a few news
stories recently about ships sunk during WWII still causing
pollution, more still to come, and about oil spills from 30 years
back still causing pollution problems.

Also, I recall something about empty oil tankers returning to the
Gulf for more causing problems round the Cape by flushing out their
tanks (or something?) out at sea beyond the territorial limit. Used
to be millions and millions of jackass pengions there, for instance,
now there aren't any.

In 1978 I was living on an offshore island (Lamma) in Hong Kong, in a
village called Sok Kwu Wan at the end of a long, narrow bay, famed
for its seafood restaurants - the bay was filled with fish farms, the
tidal patterns etc being perfect for it. The island's on the other
side of the main shipping channel out of Hong Kong, one of the main
shipping ports in the world. There are scores of bouys and navigation
beacons in that channel, it must be one of the best-marked bits of
ocean there is. One morning (I worked all night at a newspaper) I
caught a sampan home across the channel to find a large container
ship perched nose-first on a rock at the entrance to the bay. It was
called the Adrian Maersk. There was a beacon right there - like a car
colliding with a traffic-light. The ship released a whole lot of fuel
oil - well, it seemed like a whole lot, but it was nothing compared
to a major spill. Killed all the fish though - the fish farmers were
doing handstands: Compensation! A double nightmare ensued: first, all
the dead fish had to be collected and weighed so it could be paid
for; second, the oil had to be cleaned up. Large piles of seriously
rotting fish and fuel oil make for a less-than-pleasant background
aroma. Foreground aroma, actually. I took a series of photographs of
the Chinese workers cleaning up the oil, bare-legged, up to their
thighs in the stuff. Very strong, instant and lasting impression it
gave: NOT a part of nature at all, the whole thing was pervaded by a
deep and most obvious sense of wrongness. Wrong wrong wrong.

Utterly wrong too was the idea that money was somehow the correct
medium for papering over the mess. Kirk's quite right about this:

>Notice many of these are navigational errors. The radar on the Valdez was
>broken for at least 6 months prior to its contact with the coast. The ship
>owners don't care. Repairs dip into profits. Ships are unsafe.
>
>Kirk

But if we all want our nice wasteful hopelessly unsustainable wanton
Western lifestyles intact, we should just be grateful they get us the
stuff at all, eh? Never mind how. Omelettes and eggs.

Keith

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://webconx.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm