From: "Tom xxx"
Subject: Re: Netcast of Dec 5/6 CARB Workshop ?

> Hello again,
> We are planning to broadcast via the internet.  Check with me for details
the
> week of the workshop if you have any questions related to this.  Thanks.

The upcoming CARB workshop looks like it will be netcast.  We will try
to provide a link on evworld.com if possible.

To the biofuelers:

I am not sure this particular CARB meeting would be the appropriate
forum for a biofuel advocate to make an out-of-nowhere stance, though
it might not be inappropriate and in any case some of the CARB
meetings would be.  One thing is to subscribe to their notices, and
then you can be the judge.

Now, if anyone does present to Dr. Lloyd and others at such a meeting,
I have a few further points to suggest as you are composing your
thoughts:

Remember that CARB's mission is *not* higher mileage nor to cure all
environmental ills, etc.  It is the California *AIR* Resources Board,
and their mission seems to be centered on cleaner Air, which means
cleaner emissions.

I don't care that this also arguably means better mileage, because
that argument has run them afoul recently of the Federales who have I
think sued them or something.  California has some sort of
dispensation under Federal Law to establish emissions regulations
different than other states, but I think the Feds said that since
CARB's attempts at mandates seemed to have gone over into mileage,
this then rendered their mandate attempts illegal or something.  I
don't know... very hard to follow, though obviously the Bush
administration's main goal is simply to stop mandate attempts and have
the Automakers left alone regardless.

Also note that some of the finer points of
better-emissions-vs.-higher-mileage have also played into the hands of
GM and other auto makers who have spent their time suing CARB recently
rather than attempting to make cleaner better EVs and other cars.

I take it for granted, by the way, for the sake of discussion, that
the ZEV mandate could in fact be done-for.  The automakers and other
opponents have lobbied zealously against it and have done an effective
job.  EV and other low-emission progressive-technology advocates were
clearly too anxious to declare victory, when they thought they'd
gained it.  In my view, this played into the hands of the
lawer-wealthy strategists.

One biofuel point that I think needs to be made very badly, to CARB
and others, is if we are seeing further instances of tax laws being
used as a pretext to shut down smaller-company and home production and
sales of biofuels.  I am referring to the recent instances, in the
United States and Britain, of tax collectors shutting down biofuel
production on the reasoning that traditional fuel taxes were not being
paid, largely because of the home-made nature of some of the biofuel
companies, where somehow the traditional tax process was not in place.

This stopping of biofuel efforts, it seems to me, is arguably a
construct of the established Fuel Major Companies to stop a nascent
effort to compete with them, and the more news and information and
personal annecdotes we can get out there, the more someone like CARB
can go to the Governor and make hard recommendations as to protecting
nascent biofuel efforts from suffering this problem.  I do not suggest
that biofuelers deserve special treatment as against their
competition, but use of tax laws as a pretext to stifle competition is
unethical and we cannot take it for granted that it will stop unless
something is done.