--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], James Slayden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello Graham,

I am starting to think that this isn't just a commerce vs. homebrew think,
but more of a east coast vs. left coast thing.  Here is the reason
why.  World Energy hasn't been inhibited in moving into the California
market for another reason than they are just slow to proceed.  Case in
point, Yokayo is brokering commerce BD as well as Southern States Power
Co., Pacific Biodiesel, and other various small brokers.  World Energy is
even is selling BD in the market as there is a pump located in San
Francisco (test case I suppose ....).

Here is what I think.  I think that you folks fell beind on your marketing
and distibution channels, as well as getting government, state, county,
and fleet sales contracts in place and you need a scapegoat, ie.
homebrewers/small producers and their supposed lack of spec fuel.  Easy
enough to convince most fleet managers as they are afraid of anything new
and improved and hardly ever make a change unless forced to do so by
mandate.  Thus when World Energy gets their marketing and distribution
into place they will still have a viable customer base that has believed
that those evil homebrewers/small producers are to blame for all the
troubles and World Energy fuel is safe and consistant.  The fleet managers
turn will their backs on the small producers believing them to be
homebrewers and thus World Energy captures the market, with nary a fight.
Very effective tool, as we have seen Microsoft do the very same thing in
the computer industry.

The problems are fictious.  If there is fuel being produced that is out of
spec, it is being produced by people probably not assiciated with this
list, and IMO hardly would be of interest to be concerned over other than
scapegoat value to besmerch homebrewers/small producers everywhere.

Now, I am going to give World Energy some credit here.  You are very good
business people.  And over this weekend I had a chance to test some of
your fuel with the Iowa water method and you fuel is excellent, although
it did smell of some residual alcohol.  I have pictures to prove it was
the best of the bunch we were testing.  Here is the punchline the commerce
BD that Yokayo brokers was the same quality as some "bad" Berkley Co-op
batches.  It just goes to show that even commerce BD isn't always there
yet.  Note that when we tested some "good" Co-op batch last weekend it was
awesome fuel.  Thank goodness that Mark is a stickler to her specs and
will not allow the bad batches to go out the door at the Co-op until
reprocessed and several tests run on it.

Here is my final word.  Get off the Soy bus.  There is great fuel being
made out of many different feedstocks by many different types of people,
small producers, and large producers.  Soy is lucky as they have a GMO oil
product as a bi-product of their overproduced feed business, and they
realized the capitalization of a market.  Again, just good business.

Graham, I think it would be great to work in the biofuels industry, but I
would not do it at a cost of GMO's, non-use of an appropiate renewable
feedstock, organic inputs, and the discounting of alternate methods of
diverse production.  I hope that you feel the urge to help reform "Big
Soy" although I'm sure you will find the task daunting.  I tip my hat if
you can make any dent into status quo.

Regards,

James Slayden

--- End forwarded message ---