Hello again Thor

It's odd that there's so much talk of people being so easily put off,
and the uncertainties of new fuels, or of anything new, of resistance
to change. Most homebrewers and especially those who campaign at
state fairs and so on report quite the opposite. Chuck just hinted at
that in his confessional. :-) People seem to be most enthusiastic
rather than sceptical and suspicious, quite happy to take a chance.
I've found that too - but not once you hit big biz and govt.

I think there're two different things here. If you go to the NBB's
and the large producers' sites, you'll see that their main target is
fleets. I can well imagine that fleet managers might react like this
(especially when they're not informed about crucial issues like
initial filtration needs!!).

Maybe the two markets - commercial fleets and the general public -
need a different approach. Maybe they're getting a different approach
already. The NBB's and industry's corporate-type PR that they churn
out hardly impacts on Joe Bloggs, and fleet managers might not spend
too much time clustering round alt-energy booths at state fairs.

There's a thread going through the industry view, or that portion of
it we've been seeing here, that seems to confirm this. They're so
worried we'll somehow pollute their precious customers, or potential
customers. When are homebrewers or small-scale producers ever going
to sell to fleets? Look at what Chuck said - friends, not fleets.
These things are more like local coops. (And there's definitely a
place for them.)

Their concerns are out of place, as well as baseless, IMO.

The bit about initial filters is about the only thing you really need
to tell first-time buyers by way of precaution. Very few vehicles now
face the rubber problem. The huge benefit of biodiesel, as opposed to
SVO, is that you just put it in and go, simple as that, any diesel.
What Mr and Mrs Suburbia or whatever are used to doing anyway.
There's massive evidence to support the truth of this, it's easy to
convince people of it, and nearly everyone likes the idea of being
squeaky-green if it's not too much hassle, and dislikes the idea of
Big Oil and air-pollution. It's not much of a hard-sell. I'm talking
about the stuff itself, not necessarily the price - but surveys have
shown that most Americans would be prepared to pay extra for greener
and more economical vehicles, so maybe the price isn't such a big
deal either. Though it is an issue for fleets, once again.

Maybe if these people would get it into their heads that we don't
deal with fleets and don't interfere with their dealings with fleets
they might stop hassling us. They should be helping us, as we help
them, whether inadvertently or not, but not hassling us would be a
start.

Re standards, I'm cross-posting a message Mark posted to Biofuel
yesterday, with some good information from Todd on standards. See
"Fwd: Re: pH questions, somewhat urgent".

>Homebrewers can decry the evils of “Big Soy,” and the
>NBB lament the perils of homebrew till the cows come
>home, each side safe in its parochial domain, but it
>ain’t gonna change nuthin’.  If the two sides cannot
>find a way to cooperate, the cause of biodiesel
>suffers.  The ball is in both courts.  NBB needs to
>clean up its act, for all the reasons mentioned in
>this forum.  And homebrewers/small producers, IMO need
>to organize to present a coherent voice.  It’s
>unrealistic to expect the NBB to treat with hundreds
>of independent producers individually.

I don't agree with this. I don't think the ball is in both courts.
I've several times mentioned what happened when I was approached by
industry people wanting collaboration, and just mentioned it again in
another post. I'm not the only one. We have the current example of
Graham's idea of collaboration: support Big Biodiesel, join the NBB.
That's bound to get biodieselers beating a path to his door.

I also don't think biodieselers should organize. This decentralized,
diffused, highly individualistic model works very well. It's
connected in many ways, via networks like this and many others, and
other, real-world networks, with resources online and accessible, and
also made available in print form in various ways, well distributed.
It might look like chaos, but it's not - the rather spectacular
technology development this model has achieved in the last few years
is proof of that (like Open Source). And it will lead (is leading) to
the kind of localization of energy supply that is the path to the
future, and that industry and the NBB will not accomplish. This is a
different model, a new model, it's a viable model, and I don't think
it should be changed. Anyway I doubt it could be.

Small-scale coops and other producers forming an association of some
kind is a different matter, and no bad idea. There are such things in
Australia I think, maybe elsewhere. If they weren't being treated as
renegades in the US it might happen there too.

But I'd resist the idea that to talk to them we need to put ourselves
in their shape. Attempts to organize us to present a coherent voice
would, I suspect, be a shambles - I can just imagine the bickering
and flame wars. Anyway it's not necessary. There's no need to deal
with hundreds of independent producers individually. We're easily
accessible through these networks. Even Graham sees that. He too
wanted either to coopt us or put ourselves in their shape (support
Big Biodiesel, join the NBB), no use at all. But look at the debate
that's developed, rather in spite of him. Industry people and the NBB
could be involved in this debate, and further debates, very easily,
with great benefit for all, and they'd certainly be more than welcome.

So what's stopping them? Anything more than their idea that we're a
peril to biodiesel (ie to their fleet customers)? I don't think so.
We can see from the EPA hassle over Yellow Biodiesel and so on that
they think we're beneath them, not worth their notice. Andrew just
said something similar. Graham's an example of it. He should be
contributing to this - he wants to, but so far he's been reduced to
wrestling with his preconceptions and prejudices.

They need to get their act together, shake their ideas up a bit. A
whole lot. The ball's in their court.

For the rest, Thor, I completely agree with you. Very useful
contribution once again, IMO. Thankyou.

This, by the way, was what the industry guy who approached me about
collaboration said, among other things:

"While we have the supply, we can only go as far as demand will take
us. We believe that a grassroots effort will generate this needed
demand. Our production and distribution capabilities, coupled with
this groundswell of public support, could actually generate, finally,
mass biofuel use."

Interesting, eh? He perhaps said more than he knew. But what his
"proposal" amounted to was basically that we should turn our networks
over to him and put him in charge. His imagination wouldn't take him
any further than wanting to coopt us.

Regards

Keith

> [...]
>entirely correct, is he not, in asserting that engine
>manufacturers are going to demand some sort of
>fuel-quality standard.  And I think it’s reasonable to
>be wary of a producer who can’t describe or
>characterize his/her product.  The rub lies in how one
>defines “describe” and “characterize.”  For example,
>if producer couldn’t tell me what kind of feedstock he
>was using, that would raise a flag.  What we have to
>do is to make achieving that standard possible for
>producers of all sizes.  Keith, the link you provided
>to the Leonardo Test Kit was a great example of
>accessible testing.
>
>Remember, too, that a standard can include lots of
>other things besides just fuel quality.  You can do an
>LCA (life cycle assessment) for biodiesel production,
>which could, for example, measure embodied energy.
>Such an assessment would favor WVO stock and local
>production.
>
>By the way, it’s interesting that NBB-titled article
>“Perils of the Homebrew” is really addressing
>potentially faulty production procedures, and not a
>general indictment of homemade biodiesel.  It's almost
>a primer FOR the homebrewer.  I find it telling that
>the NBB read it through their particular lens as
>describing inherent (irremediable?) flaws in homebrew.
> Or, more cynically, perhaps they just saw some stray
>“ammo” to load into their anti-small producer cannon.
>Either way, it’s shameful and, when you read
>carefully, fairly transparent propaganda.  They really
>should remove that title.  If I were Legge I’d be
>pretty ticked off.
>
>3)  Some sort of certification program?  This has
>worked in organic agriculture pretty well (and yes I
>realize that it’s in danger of being co-opted by
>agribusiness via USDA so let’s not go there).  But
>branding and labeling is a key to consumer assurance
>and acceptance, especially where there are many
>producers.  Of course, there are a lot of obstacles to
>address and pitfalls to avoid, not the least of which
>is that the process be taken over by NBB.  But at some
>point, as I wrote earlier, small producers are going
>to have to band together to make their voice(s) heard;
>a national cooperative or something similar.  Sure,
>there are independent go it alone types who won’t want
>to participate, who won’t want to pay for the
>certification, and so on.  But no matter.  I have
>talked to organic farmers who are not certified
>because of the costs and paperwork.  They sell
>locally, and as one woman put it, “My customers know
>me and know my food.  They can come on the farm and
>see how I do things.  They don’t need the official
>seal of approval.”  Same goes for homebrewers who
>produce for a very local market.  No certification
>mark is going to replace personal experience with the
>product and the producer.  But when you move beyond
>the confines of your neighborhood and immediate
>community, commerce takes on a more complicated set of

áFREE Health Insurance Quotes-eHealthInsurance.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/1.voSB/RnFFAA/46VHAA/9bTolB/TM