Graham, You will be respected if you have the courage to admit that you made
a mistake,
and agree to think before you speak/act in  the future.
You will achieve little by denying what is recorded for eternity,
better to come clean now and try to do better in the future.

We all make mistakes and if we are lucky nobody notices,
unfortunately you got caught in black and white.
So if you can swallow your pride - a little humility will win you plenty of
friends!

regards
Brian UK (currently in India)

Biofuels at Journey to Forever