Hi Wendell,

Try "Enzymatic alcoholysis for biodiesel fuel production and application to the
reaction to
oil processing" by Yuji Shimada*, Yomi Watanabe, Akio Sugihara, Yoshio Tominaga
Osaka Municipal Technical Research Institute, 1-6-50 Morinomiya, Joto-kit,
Osaka 536-
8553, Japan

The paper appeared in the Journal of Molecular Catalysis B: Enzymatic 693
(2002) 1-10

Abstract
Biodiesel fuel (fatty acid methyl esters; FAMEs) can be produced by
methanolysis of
waste edible oil with a lipase. The degree of methanolysis was low in reaction
systems so
far reported, and the lipase catalyst could not be reused in spite of using
immobilized
enzyme. We clarified this problem was due to the irreversible inactivation of
the lipase by
contact with insoluble methanol (MeOH). Based on this result, we developed a
stepwise
methanolysis system with immobilized Candida* antarctica lipase. Two-step batch
methanolysis was most effective for the production of biodiesel fuel from waste
oil: the
first-step reaction was conducted in the presence of 1/3 molar equivalent of
MeOH for
the stoichiometric amount, and the second-step reaction was performed by adding
2/3
molar equivalent of MeOH. If the immobilized carrier is destroyed by agitation
in a reactor
with impeller, three-step flow reaction will be available: the first-step
substrates were
waste oil and 1/3 molar equivalent of MeOH; the second-step, the first-step
eluate and
1/3 molar equivalent of MeOH; the third-step, the second-step eluate and 1/3
molar
equivalent of MeOH. The conversion of waste oil to biodiesel fuel reached >90%
in the
two reaction systems, and the lipase catalyst could be used for >100 days
without
decrease of the activity. The stepwise alcoholysis could successfully be
applied to
ethanolysis of tuna oil.
bioreactor,
Docosahexaenoic acid ethyl ester

As I understand it, problems with enzymatic processes so far have been low
rate, poor
yield, low purity and problems of enzyme separation. But this recent paper
suggests that
at least some of these problems have been overcome.

The corresponding author. can be reached at:
 Tel.: +81-6-6963-8073; fax: +81-6-6963-8079.
E-mail address: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Y. Shiraada)

Also an old friend and colleague of mine, Mohammed Farid, has a student working
on the
enzymatic process. He can be reached at <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hope that helps

Regards

Michael Allen

11/12/02 19:33:18, "Wendell Wait" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Does anyone know of any BD being produced using lipase type enzymes that are
>bacterial/plant derived? I came across a Russian abstract concerning
>esterification of LCFA?s using enzymes from castor. Surely in our biotech
>age and where technology is so readily available for the determination and
>production of enzymes, that a group could be produced to produce the
>transesterification rxn at room temp and most importantly in an aqueous
>environment. This could well and truly simplify the processing. Of course
>ethanol could then be used in place of methanol so that a truly ?organic?
>source of BD be produced.
>W.

>Biofuels at Journey to Forever
>Biofuel at WebConX