>Light rail, modern high speed
>inter-urban rail, hybrid buses, etc. need support because their competition
>has lured away all their customers over the years through glamorous
>salesmanship and appeals to the freedoms of air travel or solo driving.

Not only have these factors contributed to the decline of importance
of light rail, but, also, there was a much more direct form of
"competition" which, early on in the 20th century, contribued to the
overall trend toward individual vehicular travel for day-to-day needs
as opposed to within-city rail travel: the deliberate destruction of
some rail lines and buyout of their owners by the auto and related
companies.

This description of GM's deliberate destruction of light rail lines
(not only "alleged" but they appear to have gotten a legal conviction
for it) (starting about 5 paragraphs below) was posted a few months
ago in one of the EV discussion areas by one of the prominent editors.
I have been meaning to bring it to the attention of other alt-fuel
people so as to make sure it did not pass by un-noticed, as I think it
was a good start to researching the history of these matters.

>I get frustrated locally, in Portland Oregon, with demands for the bus
>system to be self-sufficient.  Of course we all want that, but people still
>love their cars, and their is a level of investment required in making bus
>transit appeal to more riders---a level of investment which won't be
>recouped immediately if at all.  Still, the reduction in traffic congestion,
>accidents, pollution, latent road warrior hostility, etc. are rarely
>considered in these arguments regarding funding transit modes.
>
>The car and the airplane are 20th century freedom machines and viewed as
>essential to being 'merican.

Yes, although there is some propaganda machine behind those concepts.
Not everyone dislikes the idea of getting on a machine and having
someone else do the driving (and insurance-paying and maintenance and
headache and fuel-paying) to get to work.  I personally have felt
*far* more free, at times, when going this route then at other times,
stuck in cities without any such realitic option, I have been stuck in
traffic.

The post that was made by Bruce, the editor of
www.electrifyingtimes.com and moderator of about 30 groups (I think).

Notice the awesome brief transcript excerpt from a Senate hearing, at
the end, between a Senator who has pre-decided that supply and demand
had worked the way they're sometimes thought to, and a person who
attempts to bring to the Senator's attention that in this instance the
markets were manipulated in an unusual and surprising way.