I just realized that there's something missing from my already long

Doing the D.I.Y. water content test I described, one should be aware that
perfectly good fuel will still have some water content. Camillo Holecek of
Energeia claims it's normal for biodiesel to contain 1200 ppm water as it's
hygroscopic,though  some of the standards say it should be below 500 ppm or
something like that. I think this has been discussed on Biofuel and
elsewhere quite extensively.
So if you do a 'boil off the water and weigh it' test you should be aware
that even if some water goes missing, it isn't necessarily anything you can
do much about- it might be in a kind of equilibrium with the atmospheric
humidity, so it's not necessarily cause for alarm without very careful
weighing. you'll probably boil something away if you try this.

Also, if you're working with UNWASHED fuel and try this test for some
reason , you'll lose some weight due to the residual methanol that will
also boil away.

Mark

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX