Just was perusing the Medis webpage, they seem to have some smaller eth
battery technology they are going into.  I am interested in the rotay
engine they have as it could be useful for a hybrid application.  MMMMMM,
Biodiesel hybrid ......  Guess Capstone is also a competing technology,
might get even more bang for the buck.

BTW, they seem to be focused on the portable market right now, but it
seems to be the fuelcell growth pattern over the last few years to move
into remote Telco applications before taking on larger projects.  Ballard
is really the only one serious about the transportation sector (so far).

James Slayden

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, murdoch wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 07:07:14 -0600, you wrote:
>
> >For a while now I have had it in my mind that I should produce ethanol
> in my back yard from biomass. Make electricity from the ethanol. Then,
> use the electricity to power my home and sell the excess to the power
> company. Easy right. Any coments.
>
> I'd like to see more attempts at this, but quite often when I mention
> using biomass to make electricity, folks try to shoot it down because
> it is not as presently efficient as they would like to see.  I think
> that it's a challenge worth exploring, particularly given new
> technologies such as fuel cells.
>
> I also strongly agree with Kirk that cogeneration can make-or-break
> whether this project is energy efficient.  This was particularly true
> in fuel cells, in a table I once saw of their energy efficiencies.  It
> was only with cogeneration, with some of them, that they got above the
> 40, 50, 60 percent marks.
>
> I really want to see ethanol fuel cells.  Ethanol is the only fuel on
> the list of potential fuel cell fuels that the Petroleum Industry
> doesn't presently dominate, and it is, consequently (my opinion) not
> talked about nearly as often as other potential fuel cell fuels.
>
> When I spoke to Medis two years ago they had not yet got to the point
> where their Ethanol Fuel Cell technology could be readily scaled up to
> house-powering size.  I don't know where they are at with that issue
> right now, nor do I know if theirs is best for such an attempt,
> because I think their ethanol fuel cell concepts necessitated some
> sort of secret ingredient aspect.  My guess is that there are several
> companies whose cells could, with some effort, be adapted to ethanol
> use.
>
> MM
>
> Biofuels at Journey to Forever
> Biofuel at WebConX