At 11:50 PM 1/6/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Thanks, Paddy.  I always understood that the dark colouration was due to the
>FFAs.  What do you reckon is in the by-product apart from glycerine, alcohol
>and a few salts?

other stuff in the glycerine byproduct is soaps- in fact when you
'neutralize' the ffa in the oil feedstock by adding extra lye,  it combines
with that extra catalyst (extra meaning that which you determine by doing a
titration) and soaps form (not sure if it's just the 'extra' needed for WVO
and not sure what exactly happens with this in new oil biodiesel, but it's
why glycerine will be more and more of a gel the more lye you've used for a
given batch of wvo or the more water content the oil feedstock had) .
Glycerine byproduct from new oil biodiesel will be more of a liquid than
that formed by WVO, not sure (can anybody tell me?) what glycerine
byproduct from lard or other animal fats biodiesel will be like in terms of
gelling.

  If you do the 'ffa recovery/glycerine purification' step some of us do
(add an acid, check it out in the journeytoforever website for more
directions) you'll break some of those soaps down into ffa, salt, and a
somewhat more pure glycerine (the result looks a little like biodiesel in
reverse- smaller amount of dark stuff on top, larger amount of clearish
stuff in the middle (and some salt in the bottom).

>If oleic (and other?) FAs are soluble in esters, does this
>account for the variation in colour between batches (base-base process)?
>Are they water-soluble?

>"David, I'm not convinced that the 'the mixture of FFAs and glycerol that
>combine in our 'by-product'.' that you mention does actually contain FFA. I
>recently aquired a sample of 95% pure oleic acid and found that it was
>completely soluble in biodiesel. Also, other FFA's will be solids which
>would be visible as solids as soon as the mixture cooled down. Personnally,
>I don't have any other explanations, although I'm sure there are others more
>qualified to comment .... Paddy"
>

>Biofuels at Journey to Forever
>Biofuel at WebConX
>http://webconx.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm