Keith

> >Alternative Diesel Fuels from Vegetable Oils and Animal Fats
> Robert O
> >DUNN and Gerhard KNOTHE Journal Oleo Sci. Vol 50. No 5 (2001)

> It's an updater on their earlier work, mostly about biodiesel, with
> some info on SVO and microemulsions. There might be more information
> in this paper (reffed on our SVO page):
> "Biodiesel: The Use of Vegetable Oils and Their Derivatives as
> Alternative Diesel Fuels", G. Knothe, R.O. Dunn, and M.O. Bagby, in
> Fuels and Chemicals from Biomass. Washington, D.C.: American Chemical
> Society. Download full-text article (Acrobat file, 901kb):
> http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/reportsdatabase/reports/gen
> /gen-162.pdf
>
> See "Microemulsification", three and a half pages:

Yes there is much more in that paper, it's one of my references I used
for www.vegburner.co.uk/blends. Although that was some time ago, the
paper I was quoting is not available online and I didn't think to check
what I had been over already...

> Etc etc. It's interesting, but all rather inconclusive and
> contradictory, which is the point maybe.

Yes there is no clear conclusions, maybe if the references quoted were
followed up.....
Personally I'm more attracted to SVO systems, but I'd happily use
biodiesel or a good tested blend for start/stops in my twin tank Land
Rover or in my diesel work truck.  If I could get hold of either.....

http://www.ncaur.usda.gov/oc/ocfuels.htm this was the other information
I was thinking of but it's just more of the same. (I finally got access
to my (x)virus infected achieves again today)

> >I'm no chemist or combustion physicist and without more detail it's
> >hard to assess exactly what is going on.
>
> Yes. But that's a complaint about scientific research on SVO in
> general - not enough of it.

Some time ago I was (very) briefly in contact with a Phil Cadman who was
involved with the ACREVO study, although he didn't answer more than one
of my mails, he did however tell me that he had some ideas he was keen
to progress but the partners for the grant had pulled out.  I did
however point John Nicholson in his direction and they met with a view
to initiate some research but I don't know what came of this.

> So. Among the various studies that are available on SVO use you can
> find corroboration of some of these concerns. You can also find
> studies that didn't find any such ill-effects. I think you can't find
> any manufacturers prepared to extend warranties to any kind of SVO
> use, yet another challenge.
>
> Needs more work, in other words. Two kinds of work, I'd say - more
> scientific study, and more empiric studies (SVO'ers en masse with
> LOTS of constant encouragement and help in keeping careful records
> and getting tests done). Three kinds - SVO'ers really have to get
> their act together as far as generating publicity is concerned. The
> biodieselers can do it, why can't the SVO folks? It's very important.
>
> Of these three, #2 is okay, #1 and #3 are far from okay. #3 is up to
> you SVO'ers. As far as #1's concerned, more scientific study, Paddy
> for instance has complained that the scientists seem fixated on
> biodiesel at the expense of SVO studies, but I think they're hardly
> to be blamed for that. There are perhaps some things you could do.
> There's Gary Knothe, for instance. I found him to be very
> approachable and helpful. That was about his work with NIR
> spectroscopy for biodiesel quality testing. He sent me his papers and
> offered to help with any further enquiries, so his email addy's there
> in our library: "Dr Gerhard Knothe is willing to help users implement
> NIR testing for biodiesel. E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]".
> He's responded to people who've contacted him, in this and other
> matters. Why not ask him about SVO, and indeed microemulsions? I
> think he'd be pleased to hear from you. He's not the only one, all
> the scientists who've published work on SVO are worth contacting.
> Certainly won't hurt to try. Don't forget the Japanese, who hold
> patents on emulsions and so on, there's great interest in biofuels
> use in Japan right now. The scientists could perhaps provide better
> information, help to guide SVO'ers in their explorations, and help to
> make the best of user experience. Just a thought.

Yes this would be good, somehow I always feel kind of inadequate when
talking to academics (think it would be the same with the press) and
tend to subconsciously steer myself away from such things....  Maybe
I'll get over it.

I think Mark's recent couple of posts on SVO
> on the Biofuel list were very constructive, though some might not
> agree. That's these:
>
>http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=19802&list=BIOFUEL

>http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=19827&list=BIOFUEL

>Worth a read.

Yes I didn't mean to detract just the post was starting to turn into a
monster.

>Best

>Keith

Best wishes