Continuing in the overly dramatic subject line for this thread vein...

Well I went to weigh and then to dry and reweigh the samples I had, and
found another annoying and very odd thing.

Here's a recap:
a few weeks ago when I started experimenting with 'bubbledrying', I had
taken some freshly washed fuel that was somewhat hazy, and I had put a hazy
sample into a tightly sealed jar, then 'bubbledried'  the rest of the fuel
until it cleared up all the haze and the fuel was brightly crystal clear.
We normally assume that clear (WASHED) fuel is a sign that the fuel has
released all of the water that might have been dissolved in it from the
washing process. I then put a sample of that presumably 'dried' and clear
fuel into a similar size jar with about the same amount of air space as the
first sample had gotten, and sealed it tightly as well. I thought it would
be good to have the samples to show people the difference between dried and
undried fuel.
but within about two weeks I found that both samples gradually got hazy
again, and this was at a fairly warm room temperature (cold will make fuel
haze appear for various reasons, but that's not what was happening here)

SO I was going to take both of the now-identical-looking samples, weigh
them, then heat them to drive off any water, and then reweigh them to see
whether one (which had previously been clear but then re-hazed) actually
had less water content.  It wasn't going to be a very accurate test because
I only had a small sample of each (about 200 ml each). I couldn't do a
bigger test because my most recent batch of washed fuel had 'cleared' on
it's own in two days (in a sealed drum, at that) without any bubbledrying
and I didnt' have any hazy fuel left.

the other factors here are that the stuff in the sample jars was probably
not the best-washed fuel I've produced, and that I'm boring you all with
this cause I'm trying to figure out if the haze clearing experienced in
bubble drying is actually 'drying', or this clearing is actually some kind
of chemical reaction between something in the air and something in
biodiesel (and guessing that whatever that reaction is, it's reversible).
ANyway I went to do that weighing bit today, and found another odd thing:
one -but only one- of the samples had gone crystal clear (which is pretty
normal for washed fuel that sits for a few weeks like this one had)
Unfortunately I never labeled which was which (since originally it was
'obvious' at the time which was hazy and which was clear), so I don't know
if it was the bubbledried one or the normally settled one.
Weird stuff, any thoughts?
I will continue with this next time I wash some fuel to the same 'specs'
and have some that's hazy...
It occurred to me that an extra night of bubbledrying exposed the biodiesel
to an extra night of cold and that some kind of tallow esters precipitation
happened that the main tank of drying fuel experienced but that the first
sealed sample did not. But I had this clearing and then gradual hazing
happen twice now with different samples, and one of the times the hazy
sample jar had sat outside along with the vat of stuff that was
bubbledrying, and both got similarly cold. Don't know if it is at all
relevant to the current clearing (at different rates) that I;m seeing in
the samples.

Below are a couple of replies I got on biofuel and biofuels-biz. One of
them is relevant here and the other is just about the measurement I was
trying to do today...

Mark

************************************

from David Teal:

To: <biofuels-biz@yahoogroups.com> Subject: Re: [biofuels-biz] bubble
drying- big correction
Mark,
When you raised the bubble-dry issue a few weeks back, I wasn't convinced
that the main action was necessarily water evaporation. I tend to store
samples of biodiesel in capped 2 litre Dr. Pepper style plastic bottles, and
had noticed that if an air space is left above the liquid, it always reduces
in volume, partially collapsing the bottle. My surmise has been that a
oxidation process was at work, where the oxidation products are liquid, and
the oxygen is removed from the air. I have also noted that if the sample
strarted hazy, it would clear at the same time, not always with a
preciptated residue of water or anything else. It would be interesting to
test for oxygen depletion in the air pocket. I did try a rudimentary test
to extinguish a burning taper (like we did at school chemistry lessons), but
this was not conclusive.
David T.

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://webconx.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm
List messages are archived at the Info-Archive at NNYTech:

from Paul Gobert - we were discussing measuring water content in biodiesel
by weighing, then boiling, then re-weighing:

At 07:05 PM 1/26/2003 +1000, you wrote:

> [...]

List messages are archived at the Info-Archive at NNYTech: