   Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:30:09 +0900
   From: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: On the road to cleaner air

>Those numbers are rather minor, aren't they? For that much money? Why
>not just use biodiesel instead?
>
>Keith
>
>http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/047/west/On_the_road_to_cleaner_air+.shtm
>Boston Globe Online / West Weekly / On the road to cleaner air
>MILFORD
>
>Grist's comment:
>
>"Boston is moving to protect its students [from diesel fumes] by
retrofitting school buses with new filtration  systems that can
eliminate 90 percent of diesel emissions.  The  Boston project is the
largest in a New England-wide effort to clean  up school buses; it is
being paid for out of a $1.4 million fund  created by the U.S. EPA
with money won in a lawsuit against a  Massachusetts waste-handling
company.  According to EPA estimates,  the upgrades will eliminate at
least 540 pounds of diesel particulate  matter, 2,480 pounds of
smog-causing hydrocarbons, and 17,380 pounds  of carbon monoxide from
the air every year."

<snip>