Here is the beginnings of a interesting biofueled hybrid project....
biodiesel/veggie oil to replace the diesel.

http://www.mrsharkey.com/pusher.htm

Some Background:

     Electric vehicles are great for around-town driving. Clean, quiet, and
up to the task of keeping up with urban traffic. Longer trips can be
difficult. The problem is that they do need to be recharged. Mine has a
range of approximately 40 miles, so a trip to, say, Portland (100 miles)
would require two stops to charge, at about 8 hours per stop. Obviously,
this is unworkable in terms of convenient traveling. I could drive my
internal combustion engined pickup, but it's kind of worn out, and gets only
"OK" mileage.
     What's needed is a way to convert the EV into a hybrid for longer
distances. Enter the EV pusher trailer, which allows me to have an internal
combustion engine to drive the EV forward longer distances when needed, but
is detachable for around town use when I want to drive as a pure electric
vehicle.

How It Works:

     The EV pusher is constructed out of the front end of a 1978 Volkswagen
Rabbit, powered by a 52 horsepower diesel engine. It has a stock three-speed
automatic transmission, axles, and CV joints, all connected to the front
wheels as a front-wheel-drive vehicle. It is constructed as a trailer that
is towed behind the EV, just like an ordinary utility trailer. Through the
use of electronic controls, I am able to operate the ignition, starter, and
throttle in the trailer from the driver's position in my electric car. To
use the trailer, I start the engine, open the throttle, and the diesel
engine in the trailer drives the EV forward through ground traction provided
by the front-wheel-drive train in the trailer. Usually, the electric drive
system in the EV is used to help the EV/pusher combination up to speed. Once
highway speed is attained, I have several operating modes, some of which are
capable of either preventing the batteries from being discharged during
driving, or even recharged as the trip progresses.
     Using the pusher trailer, I can cruise at 65 MPH continuously, and have
kicked the speed up to 75 MPH briefly for passing. Further tests may show
that higher speeds are possible. Range is limited only by the availability
of diesel fuel, which is pretty common these days.

http://webconx.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/yohn

Steve Spence
Subscribe to the Renewable Energy Newsletter
& Discussion Boards. Read about Sustainable Technology:
http://www.green-trust.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX