Dear Keith and Prof. Allen,

I am still fixing some details to start my project on a small pilot plant
(100 l) to produce ethanol based biodiesel. I have read a lot of information
in the archives and the Journey to Forever site about of troubles when
dealing with ethanol and the same old question is back: if ethanol is used,
it is better to change the catalyst from NaOH to KOH. However, even in this
case, success is not guaranteed as the separation between glycerine and
ester may not occur. The tips given by Ken Provost do not help a lot, since
at the end even he says that it is like lottery (matter of good luck and
fervent prayer). There is no clear explanation about why glycerol does not
separate well or what can be done to avoid it (without mixing methanol). I
cannot get reproducibility in my lab tests. Sometimes it works and sometimes
not, as he said. The same recipe! Does anybody know a paper which explains
in details the chemical reasons of separation problems (or any additive to
help it). I have in hands a brazilian handbook to produce biodiesel from
several brazilian vegetable oils. It was written in 1985!!! In all recipes,
biodiesel is successfully made by mixing reactants in the following
proportions:

600 g refined  oil (for soy oil, 0.2 acidic index) is firstly treated with
1.5 g of CaCO3 at 120¼C and filtrated. Then 182 ml anhydrous ethanol
previously mixed with 2.5 g NaOH is added to the oil. After 20 min mixing at
60¼C, 3.5g of NH4Cl is added (catalyst poison). Then filtration of the
precipitate and addition of 17 ml of HCl (36%). Then settling for a couple
of hours, separation and washing with water + bicarbonate. The authors say
that the HCl acid is added to enhance settling of glycerol. Does anybody
know the basis of this method? Is it a too old method?

Thank you for your future comments.

Murilo D.M. Innocentini

Group of Engineering and Microstructure of Materials
Department of Materials Engineering
Federal University of Sao Carlos
Via Washington Luiz, km 235
13565-905 Sao Carlos - SP - Brasil