Hi all,
I have a few questions about CNG fuel that I often am asked, thanks to the
vocal anti-diesel lobby in the US, and to the many who oppose commercial
biodiesel use because it offers a direct competition to compressed natural
conversion for fleets.

We get a lot of comments about the cost of commercial biodiesel being a
major problem in public and in municipal/fleet acceptance of this fuel. I'd
like to find some facts on how the cost compares to CNG for fleet usage.

I used to drive a propane-powered vehicle- and it got atrocious fuel
economy compared to gasoline (it was a gas-to-propane conversion).  the
cost of the fuel also varied wildly compared to gasoline- but in general
the cost of operating the vehicle was high compared to operating the same
vehicle unmodified (gasoline), and that's not even including the cost of
the propane conversion kit. It of course had cleaner emissions which is why
we drove it instead of a gasoline one. I know it is true of propane
conversions in general that you suffer a significant loss of fuel economy
over gasoline.

There are I believe CNG conversions available for both diesel and gasoline
engines. Does anyone know about how the operating cost of CNG, and the cost
of a heavy truck (or bus) conversion, compare with the $2.30 (?) a gallon
that biodiesel costs small fleets in California?  What I am interested in
is fuel economy statistics for diesel-to-CNG conversions, the cost of the
CNG itself, and any guesses (or Google-ings) on the cost of converting a
heavy fleet vehicle to CNG, whether with a kit or a specifically-designed
CNG engine. If it looks anything like my propane truck's economics, it
seems that much of the argument about cost being a prohibitive factor for
fleets such as the Oakland public schools/municipal vehicles/san francisco
bus fleet isn't so much of an argument after all- it's either biodiesel in
existing vehicles at a certain number of cents per mile, or CNG- at the
cost of converting the fleet and then ???how much??per mile. Of course it
might not be the case if CNG is cheap and the fuel economy is not affected
similarly to propane conversions. it is also the case that fuel economy
decreases with biodiesel in some instances- I have documented NO decrease
in fuel economy in a Datsun truck (34 mpg on either fuel with very strict
checking) but the Ecology Center curbside recycling truck fleet has
documented a 17% loss sincemaking the switch.

thanks in advance,
mark

Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/9bTolB/TM