                April 2003
                Author: Hakan Falk

In this letter,
- THERMAL BUILDING CODES FOR DEVELOPING COUNTRIES.
- MAKE IT COMFORTABLE FOR REAL PEOPLE.
- THE HISTORY OF DIMENSIONING TEMPERATURES
   FOR STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN.
- BIOFUEL BUSINESS IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES.
- YEAST SELECTION VS. INVESTMENT LEVELS FOR
   ETHANOL PRODUCTION PLANTS.
- INDIVIDUAL ROOM TEMPERATURE CONTROL.
- OPEN LETTER TO MR. SAM KAZMAN, CEI.
- PERSPECTIVE ON OIL DEPENDENCIES.
- STRUCTURES OF A BIOFUEL BUSINESS.

 From last letter,
- DIESEL ENGINE, AS A "READY TO USE" ENERGY SAVING TECHNOLOGY.
- BIOMASS AS LIQUID FUEL.

News Letter Archive
http://newsletters.energy.saving.nu/

Hello,

It was a long time ago, since we sent the News Letter. It
is some valid excuses, but I will not go into them. This
is our first News Letter in 2003 and we hope that we can
come back to a more frequent schedule.

We have not been totally inactive and produced quite a
number of new information on the site. Some are more on
biofuels and some are revamping and new pages on the major
subject of energy and buildings. My project on biofuels
in cooperation with http://journeytoforever.org is coming
close to an end and it will only be occasionally more
pages on this. I think that you will find what is on the
site is a thorough educational information on biofuels.

Our new projects will be Sun and Wind energy and we hope
to produce an equally thorough educational information.
It is our feeling that the energy used in buildings, must
be put in context with the future use of energy. The
unavoidable future utilization of renewable energy, as
the fossil resources are running low, will force a demand
on energy austerity and efficiency. For the developing
world it is already no space for a development based on
fossil resource and they are left to go the only path
of renewable energy resources.

We feel that our knowledge and experiences from the
development in the maybe most energy efficient nation
among the developed countries, could give some valuable
insights. This especially for the developing countries.

Hakan Falk ( http://hakan.vitools.net )

ARTICLES SINCE LAST NEWS LETTER

THERMAL BUILDING CODES FOR DEVELOPING COUNTRIES.
http://energy.saving.nu/buildingcodes/buildingcodedev.shtml
Why not better than developed countries? It is large energy
savings that can be done with an adequate Thermal Building
Code and dimensioning of climate control systems, in some
cases up to 70% savings compared to traditional Building
Codes and practices in developed countries. This will give
necessary efficiencies, needed to an efficient use of
biofuels, sun and wind energy. It is absolutely necessary
to pave the way out of poverty traps.
http://energy.saving.nu/buildingcodes/buildingcodedev.shtml

MAKE IT COMFORTABLE FOR REAL PEOPLE.
http://energy.saving.nu/comfort/
The majority of installations in the world are neither
designed or dimensioned to minimize the energy consumption
nor to maximize the comfort. The most common methods to
calculate and dimension the systems are grossly misleading
and waste energy. The method of regulate the systems with
only the air temperature, representing only 24% of the human
body system, adds to a large waste of energy.
(This is a remake from the introduction)
http://energy.saving.nu/comfort/

THE HISTORY OF DIMENSIONING TEMPERATURES
FOR STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN.
http://energy.saving.nu/buildingcodes/dimhistory.shtml
For dimensioning of HVAC, the calculations are based on the
well known formula that assumes a linear relationship between
inside temperature, outside temperature and the thermal
resistance of the construction. During the last 50 years this
formula have been disqualified repeatedly. By specifying
dimensioning temperatures in the Building Codes, the over
sizing of equipment could be controlled and more correct
sizing was achieved. The following is the history of that
evolution,
http://energy.saving.nu/buildingcodes/dimhistory.shtml

BIOFUEL BUSINESS IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES.
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/biofueldev.shtml
To implement and introduce biofuels in the market for a
developing country should be both easier and give larger
benefits than for a developed country. It is certain that
any country's development is to the greatest extent dependent
on the availability of energy resources. Without energy it is
not possible to develop the country. This document is not only
aimed at helping prospective biofuel producers, but does also
include information and suggestions for leaders, politicians
and governmental programs. Feel free to use it, if you need it.
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/biofueldev.shtml

YEAST SELECTION VS. INVESTMENT LEVELS FOR
ETHANOL PRODUCTION PLANTS.
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/ethanolyeast.shtml
Ethanol is produced by yeasts and there are many strains
with quite different attributes. For the lowest cost of
the production, one has to select the best yeast for the
purpose and design the production plant for it. With such
design considerations, the capital costs can be reduced by
around 45%. With significant production cost savings that
results from reduced depreciation, lower maintenance costs,
lower energy costs, lower treatment expenses, smaller plant
size and lower labor costs.
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/ethanolyeast.shtml

INDIVIDUAL ROOM TEMPERATURE CONTROL.
http://energy.saving.nu/control/individualtemp.shtml
Research at Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) about
individual room temperature control shows some interesting
and basic results. It should be dealt with in any energy
audit of a building. The realities are however a different
matter and it is amazing how often we find open doors between
rooms with individual thermostats.
http://energy.saving.nu/control/individualtemp.shtml

OPEN LETTER TO MR. SAM KAZMAN, CEI.
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/kazman.shtml
Concerning his appearance and promotion of SUV in the discussion
program Insight at Ann. Any experienced off road user of a
fuel thirsty SUB, know how dangerous this vehicles can be on
the road and in the hands of an unexperienced driver.
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/kazman.shtml

PERSPECTIVE ON OIL DEPENDENCIES.
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/oildependencies.shtml
It does not take much knowledge in mathematics to understand
that the equations in the demand and supply situation are
impossible. It is no relief for the world and it is no escape
from the dependence of Middle East oil reserves. US who is
taking around a quarter of all current oil production, or half
of the industrialized countries use of oil, is already at a
difficult junction.
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/oildependencies.shtml

STRUCTURES OF A BIOFUEL BUSINESS.
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/biofuelorg.shtml
Renewable Energies are already big business in some fields
and are destined to be huge. The traditional fossil-fuel
markets are markets with a few producers and a huge client
base. A few companies which financed the prospecting and
the large investments required in production/distribution
facilities dominate. It is however not difficult to see
that fossil fuels will be subject to severe price increases
during the next two decades, leading to more energy crises.
The pressures for replacement fuels and improved energy
efficiency will be tremendous. The biofuel market is quite
different from the markets mentioned above. It will always
be dependent on many small producers of the raw material and
have to distribute to the same huge client base as fossil fuels.
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/biofuelorg.shtml

REMINDERS FROM THE PREVIOUS NEWS LETTER:

DIESEL ENGINE, AS A "READY TO USE" ENERGY SAVING TECHNOLOGY.
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/dieseltech.shtml
In todays world it is obvious that we have to do an
inventory of technologies that will produce both short and
long term relief in the current use of energy. We have to
evaluate the technologies that we have and prioritize
efficiently. It is enormous gains to be done in
"ready to use" technologies and it will also enhance
our possibilities to build the "new technologies".
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/dieseltech.shtml

BIOMASS AS LIQUID FUEL.
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/
Biomass can be processed and used as a liquid fuel for
heating or in internal combustion engines either on
their own or blended with petroleum. Therefore, they
have the potential to change and/or enhance the supply
and use of fuel in many parts of the world. There are
many widely-available raw materials from which fuel can
be made, using already improved and demonstrated existing
technologies. Bio fuel have favorable characteristics,
namely clean burning and high rated performance.
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/

THE FOUNDERS OF ENERGY SAVING NOW.
We are three persons who together have been involved in the
field of simulation of climate and energy transmissions
in building constructions during the last 30+ years. You
can read more about us at http://about.energy.saving.nu/ .

We ask you to help us make "Energy Saving Now" known
to as many as possible. To do so, you can use the message
form at

    http://recommend.energy.saving.nu/

Hakan Falk, Engelbrekt IsfŠlt, Teddy Rosenthal
http://Energy.Saving.nu/
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

News Letter Archive
http://newsletters.energy.saving.nu/

How much do you know about energy saving? Take our quiz,
http://quiz.energy.saving.nu/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/9bTolB/TM