CAR-FREE ECOVILLAGES LISTSERVE LAUNCHED
[submitted by Francois Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]

Hello dear friends:
Following the Towards Car-Free Cities III conference in Prague we are
starting a new discussion listserve on the idea of car-free
ecovillages. We wish to explore visions of ecovillages car-free and
free of car dependency and share experiences and solutions. The list
would also serve as support for the practical set-up of one or more
ecovillages in Europe or elsewhere. Would you be interested to
explore this idea? Please pass on the message people potentially
interested. Subscribe by sending an e-mail to <carfreeecovillages-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

AUGUST ECOTOPIA GATHERING TO BE HELD IN UKRAINE

Ecotopia is the biggest international environmental gathering in
Europe. It has been held for over 13 years, each year in a different
country and hosted by a local grassroots environmental organisation
within the EYFA (European Youth for Action) network.
    This year it will be held from Aug. 20-Sept. 3 in Sheshory,
Ukraine, hosted by Green Dossier. For those that have the time, a
bike tour to Ecotopia across Poland and Western Ukraine is organised
for a few weeks preceding the gathering. See
<http://www.eyfa.org/ecotopia2003.htm> for more information.

_________________________________

      CAR BUSTERS ANNOUNCEMENTS >>
      __________________________________

WORLD CAR-FREE DAYS 2003 INPUT SOUGHT

We are currently seeking comment - through listserve, bulletin, and e-
mail discussions - on the shape of the World Car-Free Days 2003
programme. We will be able to provide dates and other details on our
website by Monday, May 19. The question is whether to have a
September 13-26 two-week programme, or to focus on a September 22
World Car-Free Day. In particular we are seeking response from the
European Union, United Nations and others on a proposal drafted at
the Towards Car-Free Cities III conference
(<http://www.carbusters.org/wcfd/proposal.php>). Comments?:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or on the following listserve:

NEW NETWORK DISCUSSION LISTSERVE LAUNCHED

Replacing the Towards Car-Free Cities III listserve is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - a list dedicated to
discussing/organising current and future projects of the Car Busters
network and the global car-free movement. The list, launched April
27, is open to anyone working for alternatives to the automobile and
car culture. Those interested in getting more involved in the Car
Busters network are especially encouraged to join. To subscribe, just
send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

CAR BUSTERS PONDERS SECOND NAME

We at Car Busters Central have realised that some occasions call for
a name that sounds more serious, respectable and official than Car
Busters. It was decided at the Towards Car-Free Cities III conference
that we would therefore adopt a second name (in addition to, not
replacing, Car Busters). Suggested titles so far include Carfree
Futures Network, The Carfree Network, Carfree International and
Alliance for Carfree Environments (ACE). We would like to solicit
your name suggestions as well. We'll even offer a prize (as well as
fame and glory) to the person who submits the winning name. Please
send them on in by June 1.

TOWARDS CAR-FREE CITIES IV IN BERLIN IN 2004?

At the very successful and productive Towards Car-Free Cities III
conference in Prague (March 17-22), it was decided that, in order to
develop and maintain the Car Busters network, it is necessary to have
an annual meeting. The next conference, Towards Car-Free Cities IV,
will be held in July 2004. So far the only proposal to host it comes
from Berlin, where two people are already researching funding sources
and facilities. Serious proposals for holding the conference
elsewhere than Berlin are accepted up until June 1 on the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] listserve (see above). Guidelines,
so that you can make a proper pitch, will be e-mailed to those who
express interest in hosting the event. As for Towards Car-Free Cities
V in 2005, there is already a proposal from the good people of
Budapest.

___________________

      DISCLAIMER >>
      __________________

And while you're out SUV-proofing your car-free ecovillage or
chipping away at a Korean elevated motorway, don't forget to heed the
wise words of International Hummer Owners Group (I.H.O.G.) founder
Rick Schmidt: "Those who deface a Hummer in words or deed deface the
American flag and what it stands for."

[end]

CAR BUSTERS
Kratka 26, 100 00 Praha 10, Czech Republic
tel: +(420) 274-810-849 - fax: +(420) 274-816-727
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - <http://www.carbusters.org>
_

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.