See below for interview transcripts.

http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/20775/story.htm

The oil-consumption party is over, author warns

USA: May 13, 2003

NEW YORK - Famine, disease, economic collapse, despotism, and
resource wars. Sounds horrific, but that's what's in store unless the
world cuts back fast on its energy consumption, according to a new
book.

In "The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies,"
author Richard Heinberg argues global oil output will peak in three
to 12 years, and if an aggressive shift to include new energy
sources, like wind, solar or fuel cells in the mix doesn't happen by
then, grim consequences will result.

It's no surprise the United States, which consumes a quarter of the
world's oil and imports more than half of the 20 million barrels of
oil it now uses every day, is at the top of Heinberg's list of
offending countries.

But the author stresses high growth rates in oil-thirsty countries
like China or India heighten the chances of calamity by increasing
competition among nations for oil and therefore requiring the shift
to alternatives to be even more decisive.

"The party, which is the past 200 years of fossil fuels use, is
coming to an end, and we have the choice as to how to bring that
party to an end," Heinberg told Reuters. "Either we do it voluntarily
or it will be thrust upon us."

While Heinberg has his share of detractors, even among those who
agree that the world may well face some sort of crisis when oil
production begins to tail off for good, his worst-case scenario is
certainly attention-grabbing.

He predicts a less global world where cities shrink into towns as
people move closer to food and water supplies, where currencies will
be local, electrical power delivered by cooperatives and bicycles and
walking widespread once again.

"We are going to have to run the movie of globalization in reverse,"
said Heinberg, an ecology professor at the New College of California,
in Santa Rosa north of San Francisco.

He also reckons many U.S. citizens would be willing to trade in their
energy-intensive lifestyles in exchange for assurances militants
halfway around the world would drop America off their target list.

Heinberg's views stand in stark contrast to those who believe that
the transition from petroleum to alternative fuels will be smooth,
even if new energy sources cost more.

"(An alternative to oil) is presumably going to cost more, but it
doesn't necessarily mean that it will be catastrophic and it doesn't
mean that the change is going to be abrupt, it could be a smooth
transition," said Ron Minsk, economist and special assistant for
economic policy to former U.S. President Bill Clinton.

A SIMPLE CHOICE

To avoid catastrophe, Heinberg stresses that the United States must
immediately reduce its dependency on petroleum and work on downsizing
its resource-intensive way of life with a view toward conservation
and developing renewable energy.

In his book, Heinberg quotes Colin Campbell - a geologist and author
known for his forecasts that world oil production is likely to peak
within a decade - to help make the case that time is of the essence
to avoid disaster.

But Campbell's claim that: "We now find one barrel of oil for every
four we consume," is dismissed by people like Minsk as scaremongering.

Heinberg's detractors acknowledge that oil will obviously run out one
day, but generally say that if oil prices rise as supplies begin to
tighten, market forces will kick in to avert a global disaster.

"Since the 1950's people have been predicting that oil production
will peak 10 years later, and we are now in the 2000's and people are
still predicting that production will peak in a decade," Minsk said.

Minsk said higher oil prices might hurt the economy in the near term,
but would also increase the economic incentive to explore and develop
oil and alternative energy sources that may have previously been too
expensive to develop before.

Oil prices reached $40 a barrel this year in the weeks before
U.S.-led forces attacked oil-rich Iraq on fears that widespread
destruction of oil fields there could shock the world economy. Prices
have since settled back to around $26.

Heinberg considers the latest conflict in Iraq not as an attempt to
get rid of weapons of mass destruction but as a way for the United
States to secure oil supplies. The invasion was, in his view, an
early sign of the resource wars of the future he predicts if
alternatives to oil are not quickly pursued.

He also says that in the absence of massive investments in
alternative energy - that is in the billions of dollars rather than
the millions proposed by U.S. President George W. Bush in his latest
budget - relying on price spikes as an early indicator of supply
problems is pretty much useless.

That's because the next big supply crisis is likely to signal the
beginning of the end of the petroleum era and thus the beginning of
chaos - first in the developing world but also, eventually, in the
industrialized world as well.

"We really need to wake up. It is the greatest challenge that we have
faced in the last 200 years," Heinberg said.

Story by Manuela Badawy

REUTERS NEWS SERVICE

http://globalpublicmedia.com/INTERVIEWS/RICHARD.HEINBERG/

Richard Heinberg discussing 'The Party's Over - Oil, War, and the
Fate of Industrial Societies'
(Telephone interview to Santa Rosa, CA on 28th February 2003 )

* In three large, continuous sections Part 1 [45:15] mp3 | transcript
, Part 2 [44:37] mp3 | transcript , Part 3 (coming soon)
* In separate clips (so far, most of Part 1 is available as separate clips):

1.   What is oil peak?  [5:40] mp3 | transcript
2.   What do the critics of oil peak say?  [5:41] mp3 | transcript
3.   What is 'net energy' & why is it important to understanding the
consequences of oil peak?  [5:38] mp3 | transcript
4.   Why do you talk about the 'fate' of industrial societies - why
is it rather bleak?  [5:51] mp3 | transcript
5.   Is it possible for an 'advanced' industrial society to survive a
large energy decline?  [4:21] mp3 | transcript
6.   What is your view of hydrogen & other substitutes for and
alternatives to hydrocarbons - won't they allow us to continue our
industrial way of life?  [11:41] mp3 | transcript

More clips coming shortly

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aM1XQD/od7FAA/uetFAA/9bTolB/TM