Murdoch,

There have been several ideas put forward over the years to indicate that
if "space" is composed of anything, it is rarefied hydrogen and maybe
helium. Deep space is basically, (I am told), made up of hydrogen atoms at
a variable density but typically individual molecules at about 100 mm (4")
apart. There was a proposal to make a deep-space vehicle propelled on the
ram-jet principle to scoop these up, heat them in a fusion reactor and
chuck them out the back. I'm pretty sure NASA published details of the
proposal some 20 years ago.

It also seems generally agreed that the sun, like other stars, keeps going
by fission of hydrogen to helium (and higher elements too). Because of its
large gravity, hydrogen from the space around the sun would be attracted to
the sun. As it happens, both hydrogen and helium have thermal molecular
velocities above the escape velocity of Earth but not (I am told) of
Jupiter, Saturn and perhaps Neptune. Perhaps there are puddles of the stuff
out there at the bottom of a very serious gravity-well.

But I do know from personal experience that keeping hydrogen confined on
Planet Earth is bloody difficult and quite dangerous!

Incidentally, re your 1 in 10, has any "professional scientist" or engineer
at any of the US space agencies ever gone on record to say hydrogen *does
not* leave our atmosphere in the general direction of up?

Regards

Michael Allen
Thailand

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511