Thanks Samai . . . .  I think! :-/

I haven't read the paper to which you refer. Perhaps I should read a copy
before I venture an opinion.

Regards

Michael

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:26:31 +0100 (BST), Sam Jai-In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi Group Members,
> A ferry fleet operator has used coconut oil instead of
> diesel for the past three years on Samui Island. This
> is another example of successful SVO story.
>
> I read a paper on the emissions bebefits of biodiesel
> published by EPA, they showed a result that if we use
> saturated fatty acid feedstocks eg. animal fats, we
> will get higher reduction of PM. Coconut-based
> biodiesel would probably give similar advantages,
> Micheal : Please comment on this.
>
> Samai
>
> --- Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hello Michael, Bruce
>>
>> >Dear Bruce,
>> >
>> >We can take this correspondence off-line if you
>> prefer. All you have to do
>> >is reply to my personal e-mail address. (I'm not
>> sure how interesting
>> >coconut oil is to those folk wrestling with the US
>> bureaucracy anyway!)
>>
>> Please don't take it off-line, there's widespread
>> interest in coconut oil and the more information is available and
>> publicly shared the better - such discussions do much more good in the
>> archives and accessible to all than hidden away on a couple of
>> people's hard disks.
>>
>> >Incidentally, there is no great secret in the
>> Neoterics claim: You can run
>> >diesel engines directly on refined coconut oil just
>> as you can on refined
>> >palm-oil: You just have to melt and pre-heat the
>> oil! We have done this by
>> >passing the exhaust pipe up through the fuel tank
>> but, being in the
>> >tropics, we do have a head-start: the air
>> temperature is about 32C so our
>> >oils are liquid. The challenge has been to use
>> unrefined palm-oil which is
>> >about one tenth the price of the refined stuff. The
>> research of my
>> >colleagues here shows that while refined oil will
>> run over 3000 hours in
>> >this system, unrefined oil cooks the engine within
>> 500 hours. I keep asking
>> >them to write this up but I think there is a
>> reluctance to publish negative
>> >results!
>> > My recollection of the medicinal properties of
>> coconut "milk" is that
>> >quenching your thirst on it leads to the world
>> falling out of your bottom .
>> >. . . . I have, however, been told that is high in
>> potassium and can
>> >actually settle the guts after a bad attack of
>> Tropical Squits . . .
>> >
>> >I have worked on using coconut shells and coir to
>> fuel. The problem is that
>> >a simple steam turbine running on the Rankine cycle
>> can only muster about
>> >40% conversion of the fuel into useful work, the
>> rest is discarded to the
>> >environment. Co-generation is possible if you have
>> a use for lots of tepid
>> >water. But generally in the tropics, there is an
>> abundance of this stuff!
>> >Why it even falls out of the sky!
>> >
>> >I did design a coconut-shell fuelled heater for
> [...]

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada.
We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kP..SB/49VGAA/ySSFAA/9bTolB/TM