That brings up something for me that I was just wondering about (being a
bucket chemist as well, and in fact a very ignorant one):
what are the reactants in saponification? Is water a catalyst or a reactant
there? Is there anything other than soap formed? What is the role of heat
in saponification- is it a condition needed for saponification to take place?

Mark

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!