hello, tim.

tim wrote:

<< then why was N Korea doing exactly the same things

during the Clinton Administration? >>

someone pelase corect me if i've got this wrong, but my understanding has
been that the agreement(s) drafted under the clinton administration were
specifically about plutonuim weapons, while the existing weapons for which they
are
being accused of defrauding the international community, are based on enriched
uranium.  a semantic splitting of the atoms which violates the spirit of the
agreement, granted, but not the letter.

in any case, regardless of the accuracy of these details, the fact remains
that from the point of view of the n korean state, there are myriad factors
which justify--nay, demand--the development of a nuclear arsenal.  the
increasingly polarized posture of the us government being a very important one.
 but
there is also their big nieghbor, china, whose ever more rapid metamorphosis
toward western capitalism would seem to inevitably lead to an eventual
estrangment
between the two governments.

and then there's their other neighbor, that most here in the u.s. would think
to be the least threat to n korea:  japan.  the country which invaded and
brutally occupied n korea (and out of which occupation the current regime
emerged; a point whose significance cannot be exaggerated) for over thirty
years.  a
government which, while pacifist in principle, has over the decades developed
considerable military capability, and has already taken the first, if very
small, step toward undoing the pacifist foundation of its constitution.  a
government which, in strategic circles, is regarded as a virtual nuclear power,
that
could assemble a nuclear delivery capability within a few short months.

whether we like the n korean regime or not, it *is* a sovereign governemnt,
and they have no less right to make strategic decisions based on geopolitical
realities than any other government.  in fact, pyongyang's actions can easily
be seen as a model of restraint when compared to current washington policy of
pre-emptive war.

best to all,

-chris