"...when they are told that they can not get out when the going gets rough, they cry "Not fair!"

How about...

...when they are told that they can not get out when the president:

1.) abuses the war powers act

2.) provokes attacks to manufacture an excuse for war months before any security council resolution is drafted

3.) Bribes a "coalition of the willing" when most of the free world isn't fooled

4.) Coerces government agencies to manufacture evidence to justify an illegal war

5.) Limits inspectors (mostly chemical weapons inspectors) from entering Iraq and works toward the dismissal of the most vocal analysts reporting that there are no WMD's

and you realize that your purpose in the military has changed from that of defender, to that of conqueror.

...they cry "Not fair!"

Mike

Greg Harbican <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
No, up till 9/11 most people entered the military for one of two reasons.

The first and most popular reason is Education.
They think that it will be an easy way the get an education, without having to work hard to get a scholarship or the need for a loan.

The second reason, is that they want money for something and they currently don't have enough.

I have heard some of their complaints, and almost always it's along the lines of " When I signed up almost _______  yrs ago, there wasn't any war.    I did it because I wanted to get 'an education' or 'the education benefit's or 'to get a job and skills for a job when I get out', not to kill people or get killed".

Many of them think that they are using the military, for their own purposes/benefit, but, then when they are told that they can not get out when the going gets rough, they cry "Not fair!"

The facts are:

*The military is just like any other company trying to get you to join, in that it is going to push the fun exciting stuff, while under emphasizing the bad.

*Anyone that thinks they can join the military and be subject to the possibility of being killed or having to kill, is living a dream that has no connection to reality.

*Anyone that thinks that the military can't or will not alter their terms of enlistment in a time of crisis is dreaming.

*Anyone that does not read the fine print on any contract before they sign, is a fool.

*All it takes is some checking, to find out what being in the military is really like.    There are to many people in ( and now out ) of the military to say what it was like.

Any person, in any job, that think that they can take the good and leave the bad, has another think coming.

Greg H.